TrueNAS 12 - Migrating geli encryption with ZFS send and receive 'invalid option' error

Brownz

Dabbler
Im attempting to follow this guide to migrating from geli encryption and all is working so far. Then I get to actually copying my data across to new pool using the following commands:
Code:
zfs snap -r tank/media@migrate-20201209
zfs send -v -R tank/media@migrate-20201209 | zfs recv -v -d -R -x encryption new\ tank/store
invalid option 'R'

I followed the same command that @winnielinnie has mentioned, although my filenames are slighlty different.

Not sure if this would cause issues, but I did deviate from the creation fo snapshots by creating one for each individual child dataset instead of the whole pool, mainly because iocage dataset is on same pool and received message saying 'cannot create snaptshot' for each iocage jails followed by 'no snapshots were created'.
  • Not sure why my zfs command doesnt recognise this option...should I remove this option, is it neccessary?
  • The iocage dataset worked fine...I think the receive command used the 'F' option instead of 'R', is this worth trying?
I really dont want to experiement with getting something working and possibly have issues with data down the line, any suggestions on how to continue would be appreaciated.

Last edited:
Not sure why my zfs command doesnt recognise this option...should I remove this option, is it neccessary?
-R only goes on the send side, not the recv side.

Brownz

Dabbler
-R only goes on the send side, not the recv side.
Ahh ok, makes sense, I have since double checked the documentation...and it wasnt listed. Thanks for clairifying
Just thought it odd that your guide has this as an example and no one mentioned they had similar issues (you may want to update)
zfs send -v -R oldpool/archive@migrate-20201209 | zfs recv -v -d -R -x encryption newpool/zdataroot

Ahhh whoops!

Major typo. That should be "-F". (But it's mostly irrelevant for a one-time full replication from scratch.) I must not have drank my morning coffee on that day over two years ago.

I edited my post and fixed the typo. Now I can gaslight you and pretend it never happened.

Last edited: