TrueNAS Scale and SMB issues

Xango

Cadet
Hey all,

I'm deployign a new TrueNAS SCALE setup and right now I seem to be running into different issues setting up a simple SMB share for windows servers. My background is windows admin, I've got enough experience to understand most of the problems I run into but this one is beyond me.

HW Chassis: HPe DL380 G9
Controllers: P840, P440 in HBA mode with 24x 1.9TB SSD
HW OS: ESXi 7.0 U1

TrueNAS = VM on ESXi
4 CPU, 64GB RAM 100% reserved
Both Controllers hardware pass-through to TrueNAS
VM OS type = Debian GNU/Linux 10 (64-bit) VM

1. Editing ACL access on an SMB share via GUI seems broken. I've created a new dataset and specified SMB as the type. But when I create a share on it I don't end up with the ability to add/edit the ACL. That feature seems to be missing from the interface. I've worked around it via CLI in the meantime but it's odd and I could find no mention of it when i searched.

2. Constant (occurs every 10 min) errors in my console log:
"truenas middlewared[921]: ldb: Unable to open tdb '/var/db/system/samba4/private/secrets.ldb': No such file or directory"
"truenas middlewared[921]: ldb: Failed to connect to '/var/db/system/samba4/private/secrets.ldb' with backend 'tdb': Unable to open tdb '/var/db/system/samba4/private/secrets.ldb': No such file or directory"

The file doesn't exist but there is a secrets.tdb and I've confirmed that perm is 600 on root:root. Again... it doesn't seem to be breaking anything but i'm not sure why I keep getting this error.

All I really want to know is if my setup is borked or if the missing ACL editing option is just because this is alpha, ditto on the error messages that pop up in my console log.

Cheers,
C

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ACL is not yet implemented in SCALE. Adding NFSv4 ACL support is non-trivial (I have it working in Lab, but not released yet).

Last edited:

Xango

Cadet
Yeah, continued googling has show that SMB support is pending. Thanks for the confirmation.

Xango

Cadet
Yeah i managed to get it all working in the end but the interface bugs were confusing me... Also the errors with the secrets file was odd even though it all works. The biggest issue I ran into was me following guides from TrueNAS core since the interfaces are virtually identical. Looking forward to the Release version of this!!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yeah i managed to get it all working in the end but the interface bugs were confusing me... Also the errors with the secrets file was odd even though it all works. The biggest issue I ran into was me following guides from TrueNAS core since the interfaces are virtually identical. Looking forward to the Release version of this!!
ldb error message is not much to worry about. It's just some log spam that I need to fix.