TrueNAS SCALE 22.02 RC.2 Install Freezes

zsaat14

Cadet
I am trying to migrate from Core to SCALE. After booting to installation media (USB 3.0 128GB thumb drive), the installation freezes with the following info on the screen:

[ 2.227877] ata9: softreset failed (device not ready) [ 11.837875] ahci 0000:08:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable [ 12.397876] pcieport 0000:06:01.0: can't change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space unavailable)

I made sure my BIOS was up to date (it was not, there were other errors before that the BIOS update fixed). Nothing came up when searching for the verbiage in the last line. The first line seems to indicate an error with the hard drives, but all drives had passed S.M.A.R.T. prior to upgrade. When I remove the installation media and reboot, Core boots just fine. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this working?

Here are all my hardware specs:
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
CPU: Intel i3-4150
RAM: 4x4GB DDR3-1600
HDDs: 6x WD Red 1TB 2.5" (RAID Z1) (attached via SATA)
SSDs: 2x ADATA SP900 2.5" (Mirrored boot drives)(attached via SATA)
m.2 Plextor PX-G128M6e (don't think this is actually used, originally for cache)
PCIe: 1xRJ45 10/100/1000 NIC

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Did some of my own googling on this, few different issues it could be... Some questions before we dig into possible solutions:

1. In your BIOS, do you have AHCI mode enabled, or IDE for your storage?
2. If you unplug the disks, does the problem go away and the installer boots? (seen some threads which said a single drive was the cause of it)
3. Is BIOS fully up to date? (https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme6/#BIOS)

zsaat14

Cadet
Thanks Kris,

1. Yes, BIOS is set to AHCI for both controllers
2. I have not tried this. If I pulled all but the boot mirror, would I be able to reinsert the rest of them drives later and import the pool then?
3. Yes, I updated the BIOS last night as the first troubleshooting step. It is running version 2.8 from ASRock.

zsaat14

Cadet
So Kris's suggestion to pull the drives got me thinking in the right direction. I pulled the PCIe NIC thinking that might have been the pcieport error. No change. So I pulled the 6 HDDs . Still no change. I disconnected the ODD thinking that might be the cause of the first line. Then it hit me: m.2 drives are also PCIe. Pulled the m.2 and it booted into the install.

Booted into BIOS looking for power/sleep related settings for PCIe storage. Here are the settings I changed:

Package C State support -> Auto
Deep Sleep -> Enabled in S4-S5

I plugged everything back in and got the same errors. Unplugged just ODD to start narrowing down hardware errors. Install booted just fine and migration was painless and quick.

TLDR: Unplug ODD and try again. Then enable and set to auto any power saving/sleep settings.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Fantastic, glad you were able to get it troubleshooted and back in business :)