Truenas on Esxi

andypm1982

Dabbler
I currently have an R720 running esxi7 that only hosts a unifi webserver and a windows server for active directory and dns services, but i also have a supermicro 4u chassis with an x10 single socket mainboard, e3 1275lv3 and 16gb ram running windows server and file sharing a hardware raid10 array of 12 4tb sas disks.

In an effort to try and reduce costs and some consolidation i am looking at using a dell h200e and passing all the disks externally to the r720 so i can create a truenas core vm on esxi and pass the hba directly to the truenas vm.

Is there any reason this should take a performance hit passing the disks externally to the dell instead of installing freenas directly on the supermicro mainboard??

my main concern is the supermicro x10slm is limited to 32gb of ram, i currently only have 16gb installed, where as i have 96gb avaliable on the dell r720. and also using the adaptec 7805 currently in the supermicro chassis i am able to pretty much saturate a 10gb lan connection for both reads and writes without needing caches drives or ssds etc.

my plan would be to have 6x 2 disk mirrored vdevs to start off giving me the same capacity i already have running the raid10 giving me the option of throwing pairs of disks in when i need expansion and also ising the bottom row of empty bays for 4x 500gb ssds for caching, L2arc, SLOG etc if required.

My main aim is to consolidate all running operating systems onto 1 box without any noticeable loss in performance. If there is going to be to much of a performance hit to my transfer speeds, media streaming, plex etc id rather leave it the way it currently is.