Proxmox shares and snapshot backup on truenas

MJFlanigan

Cadet
I have a dell r720 with 6 4tb hard drives and 2 500gb ssd I'm going to use as my nas disks on my truenas virtualization on proxmox.

I wanted to do a few things:
  1. Set up a network share for the machine to be backed up
  2. Take daily snapshots of the server and back it up to back blaze with duplicacy
  3. Set up the pool of the 6 hard drives with the other two as cache for better performance.
  4. Back up my Mac with time machine
  5. Be able to create shares for the other virtual machines like plex and next cloud to access. I do know that I could run both from here which might be easier.
I don't quite know how to do this as of yet and I don't know if here is one tutorial that has been helpful. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
with the other two as cache for better performance.
Depending on the rest of your hardware and what you are considering as "performance", maybe not.

L2ARC is usually only beneficial if you already have a lot of RAM (the forum recommends 64GB before considering L2ARC). Depending on what those drives are (if they are consumer SSDs), you should seriously consider if they offer a large enough TBW to cover more than a couple of years of reading and writing for your pool data... Samsung EVO 500GB drives, for example have a TBW of 300TB, so if you're planning on writing (remembering that both reads and writes to the pool will potentially cause writes to the L2ARC) more than 800 GB a day, you'll only get a year from it. Look into Intel SSDs, with TBW of 3000+ for heavy use.

Don't use consumer SSDs as SLOG.

All other points other than 3 should be fine. There are plenty of guides in the forum and on YouTube and the documentation itself is OK if you know what you're looking to do.

MJFlanigan

Cadet
Thanks, I have a lot of ram in the server and this is all server grade hardware.

sretalla