TrueNAS and Win Server on 2 VM's within Proxmox

nanodisk

Dabbler
Hi all,

Experimenting with virtualisation at the moment. I've got proxmox running with TrueNAS and Win Server 2019 in two separate VM's. I'm currently trying to get TrueNAS to be detected by Win Server, so I can still have Active Directory with the better storage system attached.

I know that if I had the two instances on different machines this would just be plug and play but is it possible for the two to work whilst being on the same machine technically?

I've spent the last 2 days trying to get the two to see each other but I haven't had any luck. I've currently set it so the Win Server VM has a dedicated NIC card whilst TrueNAS shares the onboard NIC with Proxmox. Granted this is not ideal at all but can this hardware setup work?

If the above hardware config does not work, is the next thing having two dedicated NIC cards and pointing each VM to one of the NIC's? Or would it be to have two separate machines?

Would be curious to know if anyone else has had this sort of issue, or has attempted something like this.

Thanks,
Cameron

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What you want is a bridge in Proxmox, to which either a real or virtual adapter is attached... for a connection between the VMs, maybe better if it's virtual NICs on their own subnet (should operate as 10G like that).

nanodisk

Dabbler
What you want is a bridge in Proxmox, to which either a real or virtual adapter is attached... for a connection between the VMs, maybe better if it's virtual NICs on their own subnet (should operate as 10G like that).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm creating a new bridge that means it's on a new network. Which then just defeats the whole idea of what I'm trying to achieve?

sretalla