TrueNAS in a VMware Workstation VM keeps crashing

araczek

Cadet
For script development/ESXi I have TrueNAS running in a VMware Workstation 15 VM. See screenshots below for the current setup.
VM_Settings.JPG

TrueNAS_Dash.JPG

TrueNAS_Disk.JPG

TrueNAs_Pool.JPG

This is my first time using FreeNAS so I am a little unsure where to look. The only info I have is it is crashing, ends up hanging and I have to power cycle. In VMware the disk is thin provisioned, I was wondering if this could cause errors. As I understand it I may need a syslog server. But I really need to know which logs to examine. I unchecked 'Syslog' on the 'Configure System Dataset' page hoping I could look at logs in the FreeNAS OS drive itself.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• TrueNAS_Dash.JPG
    TrueNAS_Dash.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 202

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Converting the disks to thick might help if it's stalling out somehow when trying to expand, but I wonder if it's more of a "virtual hardware" issue. What revision is the virtual hardware, and did you match the guest OS (FreeBSD 12.x) as closely as possible for the vmtools?

I'm guessing you have lots of RAM in your host (64GB) and 4 vCPUs isn't excessive (although you might be able to get away with less)

araczek

Cadet
The OS is set for FreeBSD 10 or earlier. Well I don't have lots of ram inside the host, it is a VMware workstation machine v15.5. TrueNAS is running with 16GB memory. I really need to know if my log settings are correct to receive log messages from TrueNAS. My syslog server is up and running and receiving logs from switches and ESXi.

Last edited:

sretalla