TrueNAS in a VM, resized VM disk a couple times but vCenter does not see the capacity

araczek

Cadet
I have a VMware cluster set up in a VMware workstation (for script testing). I installed TrueNAs and have it working on the VMware/vCenter cluster. I resized
the TruNAS disk drive a couple times and TrueNAS detects the increase in size. I have the TruNAS disk set at 300GB. But if I look in vCenter Server the TrueNAs datastore only shows about 120GB capacity, which is what I assume was the original capacity. I did a VMware rescan of storage but it still shows the 120GB as datastore capacity.
What coupd be wrong?

NugentS

MVP
Thick vs Thin provision?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm assuming you've presented the disk from TrueNAS back to your vCenter cluster as iSCSI, since you're talking about the "TrueNAS datastore" and not an "export" which would imply NFS.

If so, try the following:
  1. From the Sharing - iSCSI - Extents menu, edit the extent associated with the ZVOL you just grew
  2. Edit or update the "Comment" field in the extent and save your changes
  3. Rescan the HBA from your iSCSI initiator (eg: vSphere) - possibly also refresh the Storage Devices pane
Step 2 here (editing and saving the Comment field) causes CTLD to update and rescan its .conf file and republish.