TrueNas - DDNS (Google Domains) & OpenVPN

Atomes

Cadet
Hello,

Since two days I try to make the DDNS & OpenVPN work, I followed all the tutorials I could find but in the end it still does not work

Everything works at the beginning for the DDNS:
  • I use google domains, I have my domain and sub-domain
  • I go to TruNas - Services - Edit Dynamic DNS. I configure as indicated in this tutorial. Right Providers, Right Username & Password, SSL Checked. Service activated.
  • Everything save, I go back to google domains I can see that the IP has been updated.

Nice ! Everything looks good ! :smile:

But no.:frown: When I type in my browser the URL "my.domain.com" it doesn't work.

In the videos I saw they write their domain and adds :8080 (or another port) but does not explain why, which one to choose or if you have to redirect something from your modem. So I tried different things and different port but nothing works.

At the same time I was following this tutorial to use OpenVpn and at one point you have to redirect the external connections to a specific port and set it up directly from your modem (1196) So I thought there might be a connection. I also thought the problem was DNSSEC in google domains so I disabled it
  • I tried to type "my.domain.com:1196" : The connection was reset
  • I tried to type "https://my.domain.com:1196" : Secure Connection Failed
  • I tried to type "my.domain.com:8088" : The connection has timed out
What can I do?

Atomes

Cadet
Hey Guys! I have some news, from my router, I forward external port 8088 to internal port 443 and "https://my.domain.com:8088" works! (and the OpenVPN connection too)

Could someone explain to me why? (I'm really new at this) And if there is no security problem to do that?

The router uses the port number to know what local IP it should connect you to.
This way you can access multiple machines, each on port 80.
I hope this answers your question.