TrueNAS Core Supports RTL8125GB NIC ?

Rintu

Dabbler
Hello Everyone!!

I have build a NAS using TrueNAS Core OS and want to add an additional NIC to increase my data transfer rate. I have chosen a 2.5G NIC from eBay and want to purchase it. My question is will the latest version of TrueNAS Core supports this Realtek RTL8125GB NIC ? As in the documentation i didn't find anything that it will support in FreeBSD

Product Link : https://shorturl.at/quJ23

If you have any other suggestions then please let me know!

Thank You
Rintu

NugentS

MVP
Yes - go to 10Gb and leave out 2.5Gb which is a shitty standard and Realtek have shitty drivers, in particular under Core.

Rintu

Dabbler
Yes - go to 10Gb and leave out 2.5Gb which is a shitty standard and Realtek have shitty drivers, in particular under Core.
Thanks for your kind reply!

Yes It can be done but my I don't have have enough PCIe x8 & x16 slots in my motherboard (both in host and client computers) that's why i choose to go with the 2.5G as it's a sweet spot between 1G and 10G and also i don't have that much budget to get a good 10G NIC.

In the Host PC (TrueNAS Core Server) 3 PCIe slots are available (2 - x1 Slot and 1 - x16 slot) in which the x16 slot is occupied by a HBA Card.

In the Client PC (Windows 11 Machine) 3 PCIe slots are available (2 - x1 Slot and 1 - x16 slot) in which x16 slot is occupied by a GPU.

Thank You
Rintu

danb35

Hall of Famer
go with the 2.5G as it's a sweet spot between 1G and 10G
No, it really isn't. I mean, it might be, if the technology were decent and you were using decent hardware--but Realtek is well-known to be garbage, and 2.5G is a pretty lousy technology. If you have a need for > GbE, the next sensible step is 10GbE.

NugentS

MVP
Thanks for your kind reply!

Yes It can be done but my I don't have have enough PCIe x8 & x16 slots in my motherboard (both in host and client computers) that's why i choose to go with the 2.5G as it's a sweet spot between 1G and 10G and also i don't have that much budget to get a good 10G NIC.

In the Host PC (TrueNAS Core Server) 3 PCIe slots are available (2 - x1 Slot and 1 - x16 slot) in which the x16 slot is occupied by a HBA Card.

In the Client PC (Windows 11 Machine) 3 PCIe slots are available (2 - x1 Slot and 1 - x16 slot) in which x16 slot is occupied by a GPU.

Thank You
Rintu
Are the PCIe x1 slots open back, or closed?

NugentS

MVP
Thats a shame. And I am not going to suggest you get a dremel and open the back up

Rintu

Dabbler
Thats a shame. And I am not going to suggest you get a dremel and open the back up

Then I have no other option for the upgrade; rather I have to stick with the Gigabit Speed. Upgrading the whole setup will be much costly...

Thank You
Rintu