TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U2 MTU Problem

buzzd

Cadet
Hi all,

I decided to change the OS of my storages. I was running Solaris 11.3 with COMSTAR for ages and was looking for something new. I started with one of them, emptied and installed TrueNAS Core 13.0 U2. Hardware is a HP storage server with 10GB fiber cards. I configured the basics, network interfaces, storage and iscsi like it was running on the old system. When i tried to add the iscsi storage to ovirt, the 10GB network connection stopped working. No ping possible anymore.

After restart, ping was possible, but adding still didn't work. Each time I tried to add it, 10GB network stopped working. I figured its an MTU Problem, since its set to 9000 as it was before on the Solaris. I still have running 3 other storages with MTU 9000 and there is no problem at all. "ping -4 -c5 -d -s9000 any-ip-address" gives me an answer between the solaris systems and hosts. storage network is an dedicated VLAN on a HP5406 Switch. Jumbo Frames are enabled.

Time for some testing. I changed the value of MTU in Network -> Interfaces -> MTU down to 1500 and was able to connect iscsi to ovirt. I deleted the iscsi, changed the value to 9000 again. Adding iscsi to ovirt didn't work, 10GB network stops working. Kind of same result. Problem seems reproduceable. Reboot again and at least ping works again. I Set MTU value to 1500 and did a "ping -4 -c5 -d -s1500 any-ip-address" and got an answer. A "ping -4 -c5 -d -s1600 any-ip-address" didn't give me an answer, understandable with MTU 1500. I changed back to MTU 9000 and was able to do a "ping -4 -c5 -d -s1600 any-ip-address". I got an answer. I tried "ping -4 -c5 -d -s9000 any-ip-address" but didn't get an answer at all. Highest I can ping is "ping -4 -c5 -d -s2006 any-ip-address" with MTU 9000.

Since its the same hardware as it was before, and like my other 3 storages, and worked for almost a decade with Solaris I doubt its a hardware problem. But to be honest I've never seen such a strange behavior. Is anyone having an idea what I have to change/modify to run MTU 9000 and be able to send bigger packets?

Greetings
BuzzD

buzzd

Cadet
Short Update, I tested U1, same behavior. Then I tested OMV and no problem at all. At the end i went back to solaris 11.4 and nappit since it was rock solid for a decade and also there, no problem with MTU at all. Would have been sweet to have a nice graphical Interface, but at the end of the day, the function is more important than the look. @mods, thread can be closed