TrueNAS core 13.0 to 13.0-U1 SMB trouble

datlik

Cadet
Hi,
I updated TrueNAS core 13.0 to 13.0-U1, I also updated pool flag and my samba is not working in the same way as before.
I am using samba on windows, wife on mac, it's mounted on Coreelec. My home directory is accessible but other shares like Photos no. I have read permission for local group "homeuser" which I created and I put created local accounts to this group. No share (pool) is now accessible, I tried to reboot, unmount, recreate permissions. What am I doing wrong? What else should I configurate? Is there any debug guide how I could find problem?
I am not sure I can rollback current version and it is too long waiting for U2. Changing group on filesystem for all pools is too ugly hack for me ....
Thank you
m

c77dk

Patron
try to check the ACLs for the pool itself and work your way into the datasets.

datlik

Cadet
This is my configuration.
I am accessing from Windows 10 Pro, I am logging as TrueNAS user mslamka. I can't see files. From Coreelec I see files, but I can read them.
Please can you be more specific what should I do?
Thank you
m

1657278312720.png
1657278458064.png
1657278506411.png

c77dk

Patron
do you have any ACLs on the pool? getfacl WD_Ultra_8T

RogerCWB

Dabbler
Same problem after updated to version 13.0-U1 yesterday.

We use with active directory connection and all SMB shares lost the Security option even with the correct group set.

1657281925416.png

1657282395045.png

Last edited:

c77dk

Patron
Same problem after updated to version 13.0-U1 yesterday.

We use with active directory connection and all SMB shares lost the Security option even with the correct group set.
Did you fix it? otherwise take a look at the pool ACL (guessing the above screenshot is for a dataset?)

RogerCWB

Dabbler
Did you fix it? otherwise take a look at the pool ACL (guessing the above screenshot is for a dataset?)
I fallback to kernel 13.0 and the shares started working again.

I didn't find one ACL to the pool, edit permissions are disabled.

datlik

Cadet
@RogerCWB pls can you write me how to make fallback?
I will wait some days, try some advices. I was waiting for 13.0-U1 for VNC fix. This is worse than VNC problem.
If I understand correctly I am unable to fallback to 12.0-U8.1 when I updated pool flag.

RogerCWB

Dabbler
@RogerCWB pls can you write me how to make fallback?
I will wait some days, try some advices. I was waiting for 13.0-U1 for VNC fix. This is worse than VNC problem.
If I understand correctly I am unable to fallback to 12.0-U8.1 when I updated pool flag.
System | Boot

Find the line with 13.0-RELEASE click in the 3 dots on the end of the line, choose ACTIVATE.

1657288755949.png

The kernel line will change to REBOOT in the Active column and the line below 13.0-U1 will show only NOW in Active column.

Reboot normally and your NAS will boot with the kernel 13.0.

sorry about the bad english.

c77dk

Patron
@RogerCWB thank you
@c77dk
as RogerCWB wrote, it's disabled, here are some screenshots

View attachment 56694
root dataset permissions cannot be edited.
looks quite like mine (mine also has "D" on owner, but since that's "delete_child" that doesn't seem to have any impact on your issue) - it was worth a shot.

datlik

Cadet
fallback to 13.0 - release and SMB working again
wife, kids ... I had no choice
fallback looks like for me as systematic solution (more than changing owner/group on filesystem)

jmeunier22

Cadet
I ran into the same issue when attempting to connect using my KODI media center. Everything looked fine in SMB settings. I reverted back to 13.0 and all was well. I will hold off on upgrading to 13.0 U1 until the problem is resolved or I have time to look into it more.

Whattteva

Wizard
Upgraded to U1 and also have same issue though I seem to have isolated a possible unique edge case? The share works normally for the most part EXCEPT for a folder (not a dataset) called "Videos" in the share that also happens to be used by Kodi through an NFS mount and it refuses to let my Windows client even list the contents in it. Reverting back to 13.0 resolves the issue. I guess I'm holding off on the upgrade for this one.

c77dk

Patron
Upgraded to U1 and also have same issue though I seem to have isolated a possible unique edge case? The share works normally for the most part EXCEPT for a folder (not a dataset) called "Videos" in the share that also happens to be used by Kodi through an NFS mount and it refuses to let my Windows client even list the contents in it. Reverting back to 13.0 resolves the issue. I guess I'm holding off on the upgrade for this one.
Hmmm - is Videos the only folder with upppercase? Or are there others which work? OP has problems with "Photos"with uppercase, so might be something with case-sensitivity. If we can pin it down further I'm sure IX would love a ticket

datlik

Cadet
I have three directories with uppercase letter in name, nothing was accessible. "Lowercase only" directory name was accessible.
@c77dk Do you have 13.0-U1? It should be easy to test it for you. Now I am on 13.0-release with broken VNC ...

c77dk

Patron
I have three directories with uppercase letter in name, nothing was accessible. "Lowercase only" directory name was accessible.
@c77dk Do you have 13.0-U1? It should be easy to test it for you. Now I am on 13.0-release with broken VNC ...
I'm on 13.0-U1 and have no issues so far - that's why I ask questions to try to figure out what might be different.

Whattteva

Wizard
Hmmm - is Videos the only folder with upppercase? Or are there others which work? OP has problems with "Photos"with uppercase, so might be something with case-sensitivity. If we can pin it down further I'm sure IX would love a ticket
Nope. That directory also has "Downloads" and "Music" and those folders are fine and accessible. However, unlike Videos, which is also shared via NFS and accessed by another system through Kodi, the others aren't is the only differentiating factor I can think of.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I had a similar problem and had to reset dataset ACL rights

See my post here: