TrueNAS and Proxmox installation (Installation issues in Virtual Environment)

Speedemon68

Cadet
I just installed Proxmox and then went to install TrueNAS and kept getting Kernal panic and researched it in the Forum and found that it was an issue seen as early as 2017. I decided to experiment with a variety of settings. After a while, I went from 8 CPU cores to 1 CPU core and dropped from 32GB of ram to 8GB of ram. Once I did that, the installer just ran without issue.

So after that, I shut it down and went to 8 cores and 32GB of ram and added an additional 4 Virtual HDs, and striped them together with ZFS. Rebooted and the server started normally. So far the testing that I have been able to do has been limited just due to time.

The performance is outstanding. If anyone has any questions please send me a message.
Speedemon68

Alex_K

Explorer
Month passed, how is it going now?

Also could you measure the performance and provide hardware details? Usually you can get better performance when passing through whole controller to TrueNAS rather then Virtual disks.

And how do you monitor your drives S.M.A.R.T attributes, if you do, or do you use other means for early warning of drives failure?

Speedemon68

Cadet
Month passed, how is it going now?

Also could you measure the performance and provide hardware details? Usually you can get better performance when passing through whole controller to TrueNAS rather then Virtual disks.

And how do you monitor your drives S.M.A.R.T attributes, if you do, or do you use other means for early warning of drives failure?
Ended up getting Dell SAS hard drives and have not had any issues at all. In fact. I have gotten TrueNAS installed running smb & iscsi and connecter to vmware installed on promox. It is running solid as a rock.