TrueNAS 12 Beta1 networking issues bridge + vlan + bond

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

I've just installed a fresh Beta1 and networking isn't working reliably. The exact same setup worked with FreeNAS 11.3U4.
  • Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate (10G Aquantia port not being used)
  • 64 GB RAM
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 100G SATA SSD for OS
  • 1 x PCIe 1G Intel NIC
  • Zyxel 2200 24 Gigabit Switch.
The onboard 1G Intel NIC and the PCIe 1 G Intel nic (em0 and igb0) are being bonded to lagg0 with LACP.
After Installation I go:

1. Create LAGG
  2. Create VLAN interface vlan5 (vlanid 5)
  3. Set vlan5 to DHCP
  4. Reboot -> working
Then in order to make a bridge I need to use the WebGUI (would be nice one could create bridges in CLI, too)
  1. Disable DHCP on vlan5
  2. Create bridge5 and attach it to vlan5 while activating DHCP (IPv6 autoconf disabled)
  3. Apply (After apply host gets new IP)
  4. Reboot -> working
I then rebooted again and the bridge isn't getting an IP any more. tcpdump on bridge5, seeing packets.
Again reboot, getting IP again on interface but cannot ping to any host. ARP is actually showing some MACs but still, not workinig network connection.
Reboot again, working again, but sometimes connectivity gets lost after some time of operating.

I wonder if anyone has witnessed similar behaviour. I'm convinced there's a bug.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_214015.jpg
    IMG_20200809_214015.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

freqlabs

iXsystems
iXsystems
This looks like a known issue. The vlan prevents the bridge from disabling some capabilities on the lagg and its port interfaces. You'll need to ensure the capabilities are disabled manually, by adding the extra flags for the lagg interface -lro -toe -tso -txcsum -txcsum6, which will automatically be propagated to the physical ports.
I don't recall if we had some workaround to automatically add those flags for this configuration in middleware that maybe stopped working, but that should get you up and running for now.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Or check the "Disable Hardware Offloading" box in the physical interface settings.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-10 um 20.00.40.png

revoman

Dabbler
Not sure if I have the same issue, since I'm not using LAGGs. But I have a 40gbe port for my FreeNAS box that is running the 12 beta and I can get vlan's working for a while... but as I make changes to the system DHCP responses don't make it into the bridge. I can provide tcpdumps and such.

Junicast

Patron
I'm still having issues now on beta2 whiel Hardware Offloading is disabled on the physical interface. No more bonding (LAGG).
bhyve guests sometimes loose network connectivity, both IPv4 and IPv6. No NDP nor ARP shows any neighbors.
When I power off the guest and start it over network works again.