SOLVED Truecommand VM on Ubuntu 16.04 and adding host as system

dnilgreb

Contributor
I am running TrueCommand(1.3.2) in an Ubuntu 16.04-LTS VM on my TrueNAS Core(12.0-U2.1) server.
To that, I have added four TrueNAS system. One of those being the host running the TrueCommand VM.

Everything is fine for a few days (3-4 at the most) and the the trouble starts.

1. It starts sending me an email per added system per minute, and never stops.
2. All logs are empty in the TrueCommand GUI.
3. All Alert Rules disappear, and no new alerts are created after that.

Tried going back to an earlier snapshot, and then it runs fine for another few days, and then it starts acting up again.

However,

If I do not add the system hosting the TrueCommand VM, it seems fine. It´s been running a couple of weeks now, without any problems.
It would be nice though, to have all my systems added. And I´d like to avoid adding more hardware if possible.

Has anyone else seen this, is there a solution?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I run two TrueCommand instances on two different TrueNAS CORE servers. Both in an Ubuntu VM with docker-compose. No problems whatsoever. Ubuntu 16.04 is a bit outdated, though. Mine are 20.04.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Ok. I run it via docker-compose as well. Do either of yours have their host added as a system in TC?

To clarify: Your TrueNAS (sys1) is running a Truecommand VM (tc1). Is sys1 added to tc1 as a system?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, of course. In both cases. E.g.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 15.39.12.png

"FreeNAS" is the VM host for TrueCommand.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Ok,
So maybe I just need to upgrade my Ubuntu. Will try that as a next step.

Thanks!

dnilgreb

Contributor
It´s been 72 hrs since I upgraded my Truecommand to Ubuntu 20.04. Still stable. Seems like it´s solved, but I´ll hold off a few more days before I mark this as solved.

aervin

iXsystems
iXsystems
Hey @dnilgreb! Is everything still alright on your end? If so, can you mark this as resolved and update the title to reflect the Ubuntu 16.x support issue? Just wanting to make sure other 16.x users can find this easily.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Hey @dnilgreb! Is everything still alright on your end? If so, can you mark this as resolved and update the title to reflect the Ubuntu 16.x support issue? Just wanting to make sure other 16.x users can find this easily.
Yes!
And now it has been running flawlwssly for a week, since I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04.
I have marked it as solved, and updated the title.

@Patrick, Thanks for solving my problem!