Truecommand NAS capacity. Am I missing something?

dnilgreb

Contributor
In TrueCommand, the reported values for USED and CAPACITY are not consistent with what TrueNAS reports.
It seems TrueCommand is not "aware" the raid setup in place.

Example:

On my main system, which I call NAS01, I have 6x 4TB disks setup in a Raid-Z2 pool, which gives me an effective total of (not really) 16TB. Right?
Looking at the pool in Storage \ Pools on that NAS, this is my current status:
NAS01-vol1.PNG

So, I have used 7,85TB and I have another 6,18TB available.

Looking on the "Show all systems" page in TrueCommand, it looks like this:
tc_image-NAS01.PNG

So, as you can see, I have very different numbers here.
In TrueCommand, I have a total of 4 systems added. The same is true for all of them.

To me, this seems weird. There should be (at least) a setting somewhere to enter this info about a system, if TrueCommand can´t detect it automatically.
Am I missing something, or just going at it in the wrong way?

I also search the forum, and the almighty Google itself, but nothing came up. Is it really poosible that no one else thought of this?
I think not....

Oh, and I am running TrueCommand 1.3.2, and all the TrueNAS systems are 12.0-U3

kherr

Explorer
I have half of it ..... 6 - 4TB disks have a "Capacity" to have a 21.82 TB pool in the largest configuration of a zfs pool .... see the "zfs raid calculator" (google it)

I don't see where they get the 11 though ....
7.25 is "used" for redundancy

Last edited:
I don't see where they get the 11 though ....
This figure will be higher than that reported under TrueNAS storage because of snapshots and other overheads. The only thing I see that might be questionable on the TC tile is the use of TB instead of TiB for units.

dnilgreb

Contributor
I still think that both Capacity and Used should know about the Raid setup, and report (in this case) a Capaity of 14.x TB, and Used should reflect the amount of data stored.

Wouldn´t that be more user friendly? Used subtracted from Capacity should equal free space.
And why wouldn´t it report the same as the TrueNAS GUI? Isn´t that the point?

sretalla