TrueCommand 2.0 Nightly Images Now Available

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
The TrueCommand Team is pleased to announce that pre-release “nightly” images for TrueCommand 2.0 are now available for general testing!

TrueCommand 2.0 is a significant change from the 1.x series. The entire backend of the product has been re-created using Golang and InfluxDB rather than C++ and PostgreSQL. This means massive performance improvements, but also a major change to the product! We want to give version 2.0 an extended pre-release testing period before officially launching it.

For details about the new features coming in v2.0 or specific performance improvements, please take a look at our “Developers Notes” page.

TrueCommand Cloud Services also has an “opt-in” for customers to migrate their cloud instance over to the nightly releases. This updates your cloud instance to the latest “nightly” version every week. To opt-in to nightly versions with TrueCommand Cloud, contact iXsystems using the “Request Support” button in the iXsystems account portal. This is also available for any questions you might have about nightlies before opting in. Requests are confirmed by Digital Services representatives.

As this is a developers nightly image, all the usual precautions should be taken before testing, including backing up your previous data directory in case you wish to run the 1.3 branch again. This is not intended for production environments, only feature previews and testing.
Please DO create bug tickets if you encounter any issues while using a nightly!

Last edited:

nKk

Dabbler
I found a problem when try to connect TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 system to TrueCommnad V2.0 (Master-20210225) docker.
If TrueNAS have HTTP to HTTPS redirection enabled TrueCommand return "websocket: bad handshake" and can't connect to TrueNAS.
When HTTP to HTTPS redirection is disable the connection working.
I create Jira issue TC-1602

ornias

Wizard
Nice work on those nightlies, I know it was somewhat of a thing to get nightly docker images being deployed nicely :)

I found a problem when try to connect TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 system to TrueCommnad V2.0 (Master-20210225) docker.
If TrueNAS have HTTP to HTTPS redirection enabled TrueCommand return "websocket: bad handshake" and can't connect to TrueNAS.
When HTTP to HTTPS redirection is disable the connection working.
I create Jira issue TC-1602
Seems like either the user or Ken needs a little spanking for trying to use secure websockets on the http port.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
First impressions: Wow! That's a great performance improvement over 1.x

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
And the new file explore feature... Totally unexpected, but genius!!! (of course we all know how to get to our files without it, but this makes it so much easier to get at things quickly from a single pane of glass.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
At the moment it seems to be only exposing files and directories owned by root, so that's something to consider how to work with.

Also the breadcrumbs are a little odd in behaviour, but for an early look it's in great shape.

Last edited:

aervin

iXsystems
iXsystems
Yeah good point, there are some limitations but they can be overcome I'm sure. I'll ask the NAS MW devs about non-root access.

Breadcrumbs proved complicated for this feature, I'll admit. If you have time, please open a ticket with your ideas. I'll be happy to look them over with the team.

ornias

Wizard
@aervin Speaking of "non-root"...
It's a bit odd if iX is on one side building a Kubernetes based hyperconverged solution and on the otherhand TrueCommand can't run with non-root kubernetes securityContext settings... might be relatively important to look into! ;)

smillan

Cadet
hi,
where do i need to go to get the TC v2.0 beta as i want to upgrade my current TC 1.3.2 VM.

cheers,

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
where do i need to go to get the TC v2.0 beta as i want to upgrade my current TC 1.3.2 VM.

Just installed 2.0 nightly. Very slick! My gripes with TC from 1.2.3 to 1.3.x have been addressed, namely:

1. System version information is back on the tiles
2. Better match of used/total space and corrected units (TiB).

TC just keeps getting better. I'm going to enjoy exploring the new version.

sretalla