SOLVED Trouble-shooting my FreeNAS Mini issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ir13h

Dabbler
I have a 2 year old FreeNAS Mini that recently stopped working. The symptoms where basically the FreeNAS not connecting to the network so there was no way to get to the FreeNAS ui and then when I connect a monitor and keyboard I don't seem to be able to get to the bios, screen just stays blank and nothing ever seems to happen.

There are probably a lot of possible causes but today is my day to look into it. the case has been opened for a while and the interior is very dusty so going to clean that up and reseat everything see if that makes any difference HOWEVER I notice the cable in the attached picture is not connected to anything. I am pretty sure this was not always the case but I cannot see any place that looks like its natural home. Can anyone point me in the right direction to figuring out what is up with this dangling cable?

Secondly assuming cleaning and finding the home for this cable does nothing, what are some good ways to troubleshoot the hardware? should I assume its the motherboard if I can't get to the bios? the IPMI interface does connect to the network and I can get to that ui in the browser so I feel like the motherboard is working somewhat but I don't really have any experience with this kind of troubleshooting

Attachments

• viewfromoppositeside.jpg
    viewfromoppositeside.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 243
  • othercableslikeit.jpg
    othercableslikeit.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 253
  • danglingcable.jpg
    danglingcable.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:

Ir13h

Dabbler
actually there are 4 blue slots that are just out of site in the 'othercableslikeit' image that the dangling cable seems to fit into, maybe they go into a couple of those?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably a known issue. Contact iX and arrange for them to ship you a new motherboard.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-mini-motherboard-clock-signal-issue.50582/

HOWEVER I notice the cable in the attached picture is not connected to anything. I am pretty sure this was not always the case but I cannot see any place that looks like its natural home. Can anyone point me in the right direction to figuring out what is up with this dangling cable?
Those are two spare SATA cables for future installation of SSDs.

Ir13h

Dabbler
wow thank-you I called and they are sending a shipping label to send the whole rig back and they will replace the mobo for me at no cost, great service glad I asked here. thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That was fast. Cool.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Those two unconnected SATA cables are for optional L2ARC or SLOG SSDs.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might want to mark this as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.