Trouble compiling forked-daapd in FreeNAS 11.1 jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudds

Dabbler
I'm attempting to build and install the DAAP/MPD server forked-daapd in a jail on my FreeNAS box running 11.1 and running into some trouble, so I wanted to see if anyone has had success compiling a recent release of this program on a modern version of FreeNAS?

https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-daapd

(The most recent posts I can find here or elsewhere on the subject are a couple of years old, and both forked-daapd and FreeNAS have gone through a lot of revisions since then. The author concedes that building this thing on FreeBSD is tricky in general, so not surprising that it's not working out of the box in FreeNAS.)

There's an install script included that I used to get the dependencies and companion services (avahi-daemon and dbus) built and running, but the script fails with the following error when it attempts to build forked-daapd itself. I'm guessing this may be something as simple as a minor error in the makefile that needs to be tweaked, but I'm not nearly competent enough with *nix to deduce exactly what needs to be done. Various tricks and tweaks I've found that people used on prior versions no longer seem to work.

$ sudo gmake install
gmake: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

This thing seems pretty neat -- if (like me) you store your iTunes library on your NAS and have AirPlay devices in your house, you can stream your music to them by running this lightweight service instead of having to keep the iTunes client running on a separate machine all the time. It supports Remote on iOS devices and has a web interface for admin and stuff. Seems pretty robust.

mjt5282

Contributor
if you have a working jail with access to installing packages. try this, it might be easier than compiling:
Code:
su -
# pkg install forked-daapd 
(answer yes to questions, follow readme after install)

The package doesn't compile very easily, I haven't tested it myself but I think the pre-built package is worth a try.

rudds

Dabbler
Sorry, forgot to mention that I did try that package and ran into trouble getting it to detect my iTunes library. But also the package install is compiled from a pretty old version (roughly a couple years) of forked-daapd that's missing some major features I need (web interface, iOS Remote support).

There don't seem to be a lot of success stories around from people managing to compile this on recent FreeBSD/FreeNAS -- maybe I should contact the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.