iTunes supported music server for FreeNAS 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudolife

Dabbler
Hello,

I know the Firefly plugin is long abandoned and stopped working in iTunes 10, but is there are more recent solution for setting up a music server that iTunes supports? DAAP or otherwise?

I run a Windows laptop while my wife uses a Mac laptop, we both have iPhones, and I'm trying to figure out if there is a reasonable way to merge our audio collection now that we have a convenient NAS to keep things on. We could certainly use Plex to play things, but it's not a good solution for syncing to our phones/etc. I'd also prefer not to do some kind of file syncing wonkyness on our libraries.

Mostly what I've found by searching around is the advice to simply point a locally installed iTunes at a mounted drive with the media on it (and never open iTunes unless the drive is mounted).

The most recent FreeBSD supporting fork of DAAP I've seen of it is here but it looks like others have tried to get that compiled in a FreeNAS Jail a few times without solution. I haven't seen any guides to a working setup yet, at any rate.

Anyone have any advice or leads?

max322223

Dabbler
On Windows, I copied the iTunes library over to a CIFS share, and then pointed my "my music" folder to that share (there's a Location tab in the properties of the My Music folder). The share used to live on WHS, now it's on freenas. iTunes seems happy. In my experience nothing horrible happened even when iTunes was started while the share was down.

PS. Disclaimer -- "works on my machine", I don't rely on iTunes for much.

SeaFox

Explorer
Hello,

I know the Firefly plugin is long abandoned and stopped working in iTunes 10, but is there are more recent solution for setting up a music server that iTunes supports? DAAP or otherwise?

o_O

/me boots up Macbook (El Capitan 10.11.2)
/me opens iTunes 12.3.2.35
/me selects the Firefly server (svn-1696) from under source menu
/me scrolls down a bit
(cover art does not display in album view, but I don't think it ever has)
/me starts "Ecstasy" by ATB playing
~music playing
~album art displaying now on top time status bar (or mini-player)

/me boots up Windows tablet (Win 8.1)
/me opens iTunes 12.3.2.35 for Windows
/me selects the Firefly server from under source menu
/me starts a different song playing on it.
~music playing

/me turns back to the machine I am typing this on (desktop, Win 8.1)
/me opens iTunes 10.7.0.21
/me selects the Firefly server from under the Shared section of the sidebar
/me starts yet another song playing on it.
~music playing

Is this some sort of FreeNAS 9.3 specific thing? I'm still using 9.2.1.9.
If it is, I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

Last edited:

Tom_

Explorer
Hi Pseudolife,

I'm interested in this functionality too.

I can confirm that ejurgensen's forked-daapd fork that you linked to can work on FreeNAS 9.3.1. I have been able to stream music from my FreeNAS box to iTunes on wired clients and sometimes wireless clients. It also works streaming to AirPlay clients with Apple Remote app or Retune (i.e. no iTunes involved). The limiting factor in my case is Bonjour/zeroconf, which can be really flaky depending on your network.

His install script works on FreeNAS with just a couple of minor changes. Search the closed issues on his github to find them. Let me know if you have problems and I'll dig out my script.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tom

andyclimb

Contributor
I would be really interested in some help to get forked-daapd working.... really interested. I've got it working on a rPi... but my xeon would do it so much faster!!!!

basically... i tried using the freebsd 10 build script. but it failed on needing pipe2... i tried a workaround by importing pipe2.. but got lost on trying to understand diffs on the makefiles... not familiar with that at all...

Contact the guy, and he recommended checking out an earlier version.. which i did... but then that fails with to makefile stuff...

here is the issue...

https://github.com/ejurgensen/forked-daapd/issues/239

can you help at all?
Would be so great to get this as a plugin, or pkg package... out of my league there though.

Tom_

Explorer
Hi,

I found the version of the script I used. Believe it or not (I don't) I saved it as a gist. You will have to set up at least `sudo` and maybe some other things if you are starting from a fresh jail, and change the script so you're using the version he suggested.

If you still have trouble, I'd try running the script in a terminal one command at a time and seeing where it falls over. From memory some of the commands had switches that weren't recognised in FreeNAS 9.3.

As an aside, forked-daapd is working quite well for me. I was having problems but they were resolved when I switched from proprietary router software (DrayTek) to OpenWrt, so I think it was mDNS-related.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.