trouble booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpy

Explorer
came home late last night to see my server went down. rebooted it, couldn't connect. so i just went to bed and decided to try again today. this is the error i'm getting

panic: free: guard2 fail @ 0xbfae550c + 8193 from usr/home/jpaetzel/8.3.0-RELEASE/FreeBSD/src/lib/libstand/ufs.c:713

tried googling but there doesn't seem to be anything.

JaimieV

Guru
The USB stick is corrupt. Try another one, and load your backed-up config onto it if you have one. If not, you'll have to auto-import the storage and configure it all up again.

jumpy

Explorer
figures. i bought the usb stick in afghanistan.

gunna go buy a new one. i forgot to back the config up, which is not a big deal. i probably made a mess of things trying to figure the os out.

JaimieV

Guru
It happens. No biggie, you won't lose any data.

jumpy

Explorer
okay i re-installed to a usb 3.0 8gb stick.

booted up and now i'm seeing
Code:
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from the loader prompt:

set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove ingvalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

Manual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>:<device> Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
This is equivalent to mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd9 /

? List valid disk boot devices
<empty line> Abort manual input

not sure what any of this means...there may have been some typos as i just typed what i saw, btw.

going to try to abort manual input to see what happens...

EDIT:

that did nothing. so i listed the valid disk boot devices

Code:
List of GEOM managed disk devices:
gptid/19c2bb88-11e2-9401-902b341a1058 gptid/19ad6bef-283f-11e2-9401-902b341a1058 gptid/192cc145-283f-11e2-9401-902b341a1058 gptid/1917939f-283f-11e2-9401-902b341a1058 ada2p2 ada2p1 ada1p1 gptid/18955fcc-283f-11e2-9401-902b341a 1058 gptid/187ea5b3-283f-11e2-9401-902b341a1058 ada2 ada1 ada0p2 ada0p1 ada0
Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

jumpy

Explorer
I've found this thread in the forum where they suggest BootIt Bare Metal(Win) but I'm not sure how to use it as it looks to be for recovery of a windows machine....and i don't have a disc drive for my server. I intended on it being USB only

i guess it should be of note that i installed the FreeNAS OS onto the thumb drive via my laptop. FreeNAS cd boot -> USB wipe/Install

jumpy

Explorer
Ok so this is weird. I thought id try putting the usb stick in the same port as the last one (I had put this one in a usb 3.0 in thd back earlier) and it worked. Is there any way to change it so I can use the usb 3.0 in the back instead of the 2.0?

Also...if I wanted to update the hardware drivers like bios....how do I do that with this os?

JaimieV

Guru
Does FreeNAS 8.3 support USB3? Maybe the back port is USB2...

The drivers are builtin to FreeBSD and will be updated that way with later FreeNAS releases.
For BIOS updates, motherboard manufacturers usually supply a boot image (CD or USB or even floppy) to do that, which bypasses whatever OS is on the machine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
USB 3.0 support is disabled by default per the manual. This is because the USB 3.0 drivers panic on some motherboards.

jumpy

Explorer
noobsauce that would make sense as i did have a panic warning in the code i saw when i plugged it in. oh well, it's running fine in the port it is in now. i appreciate the guidance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. Right now FreeNAS is experiencing what I call 'rapid development'. Alot of big ticket stuff is being implemented with each release. I'm slowly learning that it's almost necessary to read the manual cover to cover with each release just to keep up with what is and isn't working. While manual reading isn't high on my list of fun things to do in my spare time, it helps from time to time. Glad you got your system back up and running!

jumpy

Explorer
Thanks! Me too, now just some more configuring the network to get everything perfect :D

jumpy

Explorer
suddenly having more problems. is it possible to have the system put a logfile of errors into a text file? i've noticed there has been a few errors when booting up, but as it was working fine i disregarded them. now i feel i should address any problems popping up so i dont have to deal with them later...like what i'm having to do right now xD

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, just use the '> /mnt/zpool/text.txt'.

For you, I think what you want is 'dmsg -d > /mnt/zpool/text.txt' replacing 'zpool' with your zpool name.

jumpy

Explorer
zpool.. the array name right? "volume1"

okay thanks. so if i wanted to have it written anywhere else than mnt/zpool i use /mnt/volume1/share/text.txt right? i set it up so no one has access to anything but share. not even myself, although i'm sure thats an easy change.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. If you don't really need to keep the output right now you can always go to /tmp/text.txt.

jumpy

Explorer
ok. thanks.

going over the manual now. so much of it i barely understand. i've been using computers since the 90s but god damn. i know so little about networking and hardware. so mind numbing.

jumpy

Explorer
the hardest thing i'm finding is that throughout the manual there are many tools to use, but no clear explanations on what they are exactly. for example i have no idea what Link Aggregation or VLAN is.

i do not have enough spare time to look all this stuff up haha arg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. The name of the game is to understand all of this stuff. That's what make learning linux and unix such a steep learning curve.

jumpy

Explorer
yeah, it's the reason why i never got into it when i was younger. no gaming compatibility and i didn't know enough about it. i didn't start using linux until last year down range, and accidentally wiped my WinOS on my laptop on the 3rd distro install (it was supposed to go side by side with 2 other Linux distros on an external...woops!) then i was forced to use only it for the rest of the year lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.