Transmission unable to download torrents with special characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic_VS

Cadet
I recently set up Freenas 8.0.4MULTIMEDIA on an old computer. minidlna works like a dream, but I am having difficulties with transmission. It seems to be as though I am only able to download torrents without characters such as (){}[]_ If I attempt to download a torrent with a special character, It gives me this error-

freenas transmission-daemon[2722]: --torrent-- write failed for "--torrent--/--file in torrent--": No such file or directory (inout.c:132)

These torrents start to download and complete about .5% then stop and give me that error. torrents without the special characters do not give me that error. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or is this is a known issue because I searched and could find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Epic_VS

Cadet
Update -

Forgot to mention that this is a 500gb usb external NTFS drive.

I researched some more and found that ntfs-3g shouldn't be the problem because it says here(goo.gl/iYcTg) that it supports all file/folder names that don't have \ or " in them.

paleoN

Wizard
I don't use Transmission so I can't offer advice about that per se. However,

Forgot to mention that this is a 500gb usb external NTFS drive.
This is a problem right here. Do NOT use NTFS drives with FreeNAS except to copy the data off to a UFS/ZFS formatted volume. Write performance is poor with NTFS drives.

Epic_VS

Cadet
Thanks for the response. I was initially going to use ufs but I realized that I did not have enough space to back up all of the data before converting it. I would have to buy another hdd to just back up the data. I probably could back up all of the data, but it would be spread over a bunch of different hdds. If there is any on the fly way to convert the disk. I will look to see if I can temporarily borrow an hdd for someone. In the mean time, dlna works just fine and that was the main purpose of me setting up a freenas server.

Thanks.

paleoN

Wizard
I don't know of any on the fly conversion.

If you can't find a hdd to borrow for local copying, I would transfer the data over FTP to the NAS. For large file transfers over FTP on a gigabit link I usually stay above 90% network utilization and at 98%-99% for much of that time. For CIFS I'm closer to 50-60%.

Epic_VS

Cadet
I just thought of a possible solution. Is it possible to partition half of the disk to ufs then copy the data from the ntfs partition. Then delete the ntfs partition and move the ufs partition back to the beginning and expand it throughout the drive. My hdd is less then half full, so it should work.

Is there a good guide software that will let me do this. Most partitioners like gparted will not let me create ufs partitions. If you know of such a software, please let me know.

Also, is freenas able to mount partitions on drives. It probably can, but I just want to make sure before I do this.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.