Transmission trouble with Mount Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Transmission installed and it works fine by default. However, when I add a mount point to relocate downloaded files, Transmission gives me an "Error: Unable to save resume file: No such file or directory" error when beginning to download a torrent.

content

Does anybody know what might be causing this? I imagine it’s a permissions problem. I’ve looked around for a ‘transmission’ user but there doesn’t seem to be one.

Here are the permissions for my Transmission dataset:

content

Guy Lian

Dabbler
I imagine it’s a permissions problem.
You could be right, but the important permissions are those inside the jail, not those outside the jail in FreeNAS.

The jail is a second copy of FreeBSD, running in a virtualised sandbox environment. In essence, it's broadly equivalent to a second computer. It has its own processes and its own security. Transmission (and the other plugins) run in that context, rather than natively on FreeNAS itself.

You should get inside the jail and then check the ownership and permissions of /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home and its subfolders, and any files inside them as well.

To get inside the jail is straightforward:
* Launch a shell session on your FreeNAS box, either by an SSH client (make sure that SSH is enabled and configured on FreeNAS) or using the Shell menu option in the FreeNAS web page.
* Type jexec `jls jid` tcsh (those are backticks, not apostrophes) and press Return. The command prompt will change. On my system I see this:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# jexec `jls jid` tcsh
software#
You will probably see this:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# jexec `jls jid` tcsh
PluginsJail#
The reason for the difference is that I called my jail "software" but you called yours "PluginsJail". The name of the jail is what appears on the command line.

Once inside the jail, drill down to /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission. Once there, check the ownership and permissions of the home subfolder. Then go into that folder and check the ownership and permissions of everything under that folder.

On my own system, everything is owned by transmission:transmission and the permissions are 775 for folders, and 664 for files. Yours may be different; whatever they are, make sure they're appropriate for your setup.

Perfect! Thank you. I had to change the user and group, as you said.

Now I have setup a share to access my Transmissions dataset. However, because of the permissions on the mount point, I can’t seem to write myself to the drive. Here are the permissions, I’m guessing 40001 has something to do with the mount point:

content

And the permissions on my dataset:

content

I actually want the group owner to be my `media` group, but I worry that changing this will affect the mount point permissions. Is there anything I can do?

Guy Lian

Dabbler
Now I have setup a share to access my Transmissions dataset. However, because of the permissions on the mount point, I can’t seem to write myself to the drive.
Which type of share?

Here are the permissions, I’m guessing 40001 has something to do with the mount point:
40001 is merely the user or group ID in the ACL seen by FreeNAS outside the jail. If you change the ACL from FreeNAS then the jail will show something different, and vice-versa.

I'm still experimenting on my own system, trying to wrap my head around multiple systems sharing resources and the best way to set up ACLs for such stuff, so I don't have an answer for you yet.

X399

Cadet
Hi,

What do I need to enter at the Mount points under 11.2 Beta3 to source and destination if I would like to see and access my downloaded content at /Volume/Dataset/Transmission folder?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• jails mount.jpg
    jails mount.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 394

X399

Cadet
Hi,

What do I need to enter at the Mount points under 11.2 Beta3 to source and destination if I would like to see and access my downloaded content at /Volume/Dataset/Transmission folder?

Thanks a lot.

Ok, got it. Now need to find out how to grant access for the only user I have to be able to delete in this dir. Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.