Transmission settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

niclas

Dabbler
Hello!

I want to set one of the plugin settings to a non standard setting in the settings.json file. But as the setting requires a restart I can't just set it for the session and if I stop the plugin, set it and start it up again it gets over written by the plugin.
Is there a way to change the plugins standard settings or could a request for non standard Transmission settings be made?

Regards,

Niclas

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
also, the transmission program has an even more specific way to do this with a "SIGHUP". after you make the changes run 'service transmission reload' and the service will pull in the config from disk into RAM.

niclas

Dabbler
Seems like you did not quite understand me. The setting exist in the FreeNAS WebUI Transmission window, but the value I want is not there. As I understand it the plugin will over write any settings it can set, and so over writes the one I want.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Seems like you did not quite understand me. The setting exist in the FreeNAS WebUI Transmission window, but the value I want is not there. As I understand it the plugin will over write any settings it can set, and so over writes the one I want.
what setting and value would you like?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
From my understanding the only reason it works overwrite it is if the plugin is running when you make changes

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
From my understanding the only reason it works overwrite it is if the plugin is running when you make changes
if it's one of the settings the plugin tries to manage I think it can overwrite it, even if you stop/start the plugin.

niclas

Dabbler
The "peer-socket-tos" setting is not only very outdated but the values for cost and delay are mixed. But you can set it as a decimal (0-255) or hex (0x00-0xff I belive) to actually make the setting useful and not potentially harmful like it is now.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The "peer-socket-tos" setting is not only very outdated but the values for cost and delay are mixed. But you can set it as a decimal (0-255) or hex (0x00-0xff I belive) to actually make the setting useful and not potentially harmful like it is now.
Are these docs up to date? That's what I based the plugin's values from.
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles#Peers

I could just delete the setting from the freenas plugin since it sounds fairly advanced, and that way people can only access it from the config.

niclas

Dabbler
Are these docs up to date? That's what I based the plugin's values from.
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles#Peers

I could just delete the setting from the freenas plugin since it sounds fairly advanced, and that way people can only access it from the config.
Those are the standard settings in Transmission. But they set the Terms of Service flags which was updated to DiffServ many years ago. Most of the settings shouldn't do anything in DiffServ except cost that should set the same bits as in DiffServs ECT(0). But the values of cost and delay are mixed up in Transmission. All it does is tag 8 bits in packets to shape the traffic if your routers and switches have support for it.

Yatti420

Wizard
Is this setting really "that" important to change?

niclas

Dabbler
Is this setting really "that" important to change?
Well, I would like to use and I have seen guides to use it for FreeNAS which are potentially harmful since Transmission doesn't do what it says it does. So either fix it or remove, does not matter to me.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Those are the standard settings in Transmission. But they set the Terms of Service flags which was updated to DiffServ many years ago. Most of the settings shouldn't do anything in DiffServ except cost that should set the same bits as in DiffServs ECT(0). But the values of cost and delay are mixed up in Transmission. All it does is tag 8 bits in packets to shape the traffic if your routers and switches have support for it.
sounds like this should be fixed in transmission then. no sure what you expect the freenas plugin to be doing differently since we're in line with the docs.

if you want to overwrite the value you can try editing the plugin code at /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/transmissionUI/freenas/forms.py around line 88 and restart the jail.

niclas

Dabbler
sounds like this should be fixed in transmission then. no sure what you expect the freenas plugin to be doing differently since we're in line with the docs.

if you want to overwrite the value you can try editing the plugin code at /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/transmissionUI/freenas/forms.py around line 88 and restart the jail.
Transmission allow you to set it as a decimal or hex value for those that know how to use it as a hidden feature. The only place it is kind of documented is in transmission-cli. But it is a valid value in Transmission that you block by over writing it.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Transmission allow you to set it as a decimal or hex value for those that know how to use it as a hidden feature. The only place it is kind of documented is in transmission-cli. But it is a valid value in Transmission that you block by over writing it.
makes sense, maybe that should be added to transmission's online documentation?
Ok, I'll note to do something about this for the next transmission release.

EDIT
or even better, any chance transmission would update their mapped values actually send the correct codes?

niclas

Dabbler
makes sense, maybe that should be added to transmission's online documentation?
Ok, I'll note to do something about this for the next transmission release.
Not to sound impatient (I already have an ugly workaround myself) or that I don't appreciate it. But the last Transmission release was almost two years ago, 2.90 was supposed to come out last year and as far as I can tell there is just one guy working with it, and not very actively.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Not to sound impatient (I already have an ugly workaround myself) or that I don't appreciate it. But the last Transmission release was almost two years ago, 2.90 was supposed to come out last year and as far as I can tell there is just one guy working with it, and not very actively.
i can issue a release, just gotta make sure updates work when removing the field. gimme a few days.

niclas

Dabbler
You are a star! :)
Would also like to thank you for the work you are doing with the Emby plugin (any ETA on the newest version?). It is in some ways the reason that I started wanting this feature to work properly.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
You are a star! :)
Would also like to thank you for the work you are doing with the Emby plugin (any ETA on the newest version?). It is in some ways the reason that I started wanting this feature to work properly.
welcome =]

i'm waiting for the port maintainer to look into a timezone related issue. Otherwise I can release it whenever

niclas

Dabbler
When I'm already talking to the right person I might as well ask. When you stop the plugin or restart the jail it seems like Transmission isn't sending a stop signal to the trackers. Is this a Transmission thing or a plugin thing? Haven't really looked in to it, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.