Transmission not able to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobelz

Cadet
Hello people!

I've been wanting to get away from underpowered, overpriced pre-built boxes for a while now so over the weekend I've built my first FreeNas 9.3 box.
I've installed it onto a 16Gb USB stick and things run fine so far. I've left all settings default using the latest 9.3 software.
Taking it a step further I wanted to set up Transmission. Downloaded the plugin, configured the jail and storage. It has a fixed internal IP and I can reach the webGUI without issues.
However, it reports the default port of 51413 is closed. All services on my other devices have no problems getting out of my network without manual port forwarding on my router, so I'm assuming my router is configured properly. Even when I create a manual port forwarding entry on the router Transmission can't seem to connect.
I've been looking around for things to try but I'm rather worried I'll screw up more things.

A few settings:

- network global config:
IPv4 default gateway: set to router's IP
Nameserver1: router's IP

- Transmission: all default settings

- jail: fixed IPv4 address
VIMAGE: on
NAT: off

- storage: source and destination set
create directory: on
mounted?: on

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Johan

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Port forwarding 51413 TCP/UDP to the jail IP should fix this.
This didn't work for you?

jobelz

Cadet
No, I forwarded that port to the jail's IP and no go. I can reach the NAS itself fine over the internet with the right forwarding, but not the jail for some reason. Ideally UPnP should work right (since it's working for my other NAS boxes)? Or does the jail need specific changes to allow UPnP? No other services are using 51413 either, I double checked.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
No, I forwarded that port to the jail's IP and no go. I can reach the NAS itself fine over the internet with the right forwarding, but not the jail for some reason. Ideally UPnP should work right (since it's working for my other NAS boxes)? Or does the jail need specific changes to allow UPnP? No other services are using 51413 either, I double checked.
Maybe try an external port checking site to verify it's forwarded correctly. If it still doesn't work, I don't know what else to check =/

jobelz

Cadet
I used some webbased tools to check ports, it came back non responsive, but I figured that if transmission was having issues there would be no service running on that port. I download a tool on my Winbox that answers on a port of choice and pointed 51413 to that PC. And tada: not working either.
So I did some more testing and it seems it's only 51413 that can't be forwarded for some bizarre reason. Any other port works fine, so I'm thinking my router (Linksys WRT320N) is having some issues or there is some service using that port already (none that I configured, it's something I have to look into).
Then I changed Transmission's port to 51412 and it's reporting the port to be open (even without manual forwarding), so that's something.
Now, I should be euphoric, but alas it's not downloading yet. I'll keep plugging though, at some point it becomes some sort of crusade to get this thing working. :)

jobelz

Cadet
Success! Partly at least! Seems that, without other modifications, .torrent files are working. Adding magnet links using the Chrome browser plugin doesn't however. The file shows up in Transmission but downloading never starts (stuck at downloading metadata).

** edit **
Removed all active torrents, restarted plugin and all is well now!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Glad you got it working. I think transmission will work whether or not that port is open, it just allows more than 8 connections at a time because it's not going through a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.