Transmission exiting on signal 11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supa

Patron
why do you need to edit settings.json directly? make sure when you test it you try to force it to crash like everyone's experiencing.

yes, that's where settings.json exists. this and the one in the official repo are identical expect for the updated libutp library. I compiled them both on the same VM.

I was only asking because on the customplugin the torrents being downloaded were getting permission denied.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I was only asking because on the customplugin the torrents being downloaded were getting permission denied.
there essentially the same plugin. just make sure transmission has the ability to write to it's download directories.

marcevan

Patron
If it helps, I noticed a pattern of transmission exiting on signal 10/11 whenever any other plugin action-ed a download away from it. E.g., Sickrage sees a complete and gets it and processes it.

Right then Transmission becomes unavailable.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If it helps, I noticed a pattern of transmission exiting on signal 10/11 whenever any other plugin action-ed a download away from it. E.g., Sickrage sees a complete and gets it and processes it.

Right then Transmission becomes unavailable.
when I get a chance I'll see if I can reproduce this.

was anyone able to try the pbi I linked to see of that fixed this crash?

jbeez

Dabbler
FYI the ICMP reset message is because the torrent clients sharing with you are still trying to hit your transmission client on the freenas server after transmission disappears and stops responding, so your server is sending out tons of unreachable messages as the ports are no longer open.

You can raise the limit, I've changed mine to 1000 with the net.inet.icmp.icmplim sysctl setting in the gui.

the idea here is that when something like this happens, you dont want any other services on your server to NOT be able to send out these kinds of diagnostic messages and cause issues with your client. You can also just keep it low and let it continue to limit, but for those interested there it is.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The PBI isn't up anymore it seems, do you still want it tested out or did you guys figure it's a problem in freebsd/libutp?
I'm still just running happily on 2.82
I took it down cause no one was responding. plus reports of this problem were coming in from people with fully updated freebsd 10.1 systems so I concluded it doesn't just affect the PBI and there's nothing I can do about it presently.

alykalanany

Dabbler
Joshua,
I tried your modified pbi! Been running it since last Monday (Feb. 2nd). Just wanted to be sure it absolutely worked before responding, because my Transmission plugin could run for 2-3 days before getting the error, even though it usually would not run for more than a day before exiting. I was also somewhat lazy to respond, as I hadn't registered here yet.. :)

Anyway, the results: No random crashes with exit on signal 11/10 yet. I've had just shy of 500 torrents loaded in Transmission and both downloaded and uploaded to/from peers 24/7. I did reboot after update of FreeNAS (stable release train) on the 5th and 11th though.

TLDR: The modified PBI works!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Joshua,
I tried your modified pbi! Been running it since last Monday (Feb. 2nd). Just wanted to be sure it absolutely worked before responding, because my Transmission plugin could run for 2-3 days before getting the error, even though it usually would not run for more than a day before exiting. I was also somewhat lazy to respond, as I hadn't registered here yet.. :)

Anyway, the results: No random crashes with exit on signal 11/10 yet. I've had just shy of 500 torrents loaded in Transmission and both downloaded and uploaded to/from peers 24/7. I did reboot after update of FreeNAS (stable release train) on the 5th and 11th though.

TLDR: The modified PBI works!
OK great. I'll push out an update tonight then!

Radu

Dabbler
I have reinstalled 2.84_2 and i will get back with feedback after some time.

Radu

Dabbler
Until now, the transmission daemon worked fine, so i think the problem is solved.

marcevan

Patron
Still on the latest release and unchecked the boxes....now alls good but the occasional error message in trans GUI that there's a connection error, but "ok' that and it's still running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.