Transmission exiting on signal 11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallGuy

Guru
Unfortunately no, the configuration file will be removed with the plugin.
You have to remove the old transmission plugin using FreeNAS GUI, and then upload the new one (older version...). In Jail tab, there is an upload plugin button.
But you can keep your plugin jail and your mount point(s), admitting you don't have broken it by tweaking something with the CLI.
In the other hand, creating a new plugin jail and add mount point take less than 3 minutes...

Last edited:

marcevan

Patron
Small correction:

Go to the PLUGINS tab in 9.3 and before hurredly clicking on 'installed' look at the default sub-tab and there's an UPLOAD button. Easy peasy to then grab the downloaded PBI (note: I couldn't find 2.83 so got 2.82) that you downloaded and it will create a jail (so don't create your own first!)

Just remember to do all the initial config setups for storage and permissions, etc.

marcevan

Patron
Ugh...doing it this way I don't have a settings.json in the usual directory. When I get to /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/ there is only a Downloads dir and no other files.

xCatalystx

Contributor
Ugh...doing it this way I don't have a settings.json in the usual directory. When I get to /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/ there is only a Downloads dir and no other files.
try and start than stop transmission. this will usually generate all the conf files.

Radu

Dabbler
2.82 is stable and working for me ...

Supa

Patron
Well hopefully an update comes out soon

OuVsq7Z.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Still waiting for an update too

BTP3jHz.png
I built this with an old libutp (cause of other issues). if you guys can confirm the pkg version runs more stable I can try rebuilding it.

t3hG04T

Cadet
Unfortunately no, the configuration file will be removed with the plugin.
You have to remove the old transmission plugin using FreeNAS GUI, and then upload the new one (older version...). In Jail tab, there is an upload plugin button.
But you can keep your plugin jail and your mount point(s), admitting you don't have broken it by tweaking something with the CLI.
In the other hand, creating a new plugin jail and add mount point take less than 3 minutes...
I was doodling about, not wanting to re-add my torrents manually again (as I had to after 9.3 update), and found the config and torrent files there:
Code:
/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home

You can back some stuff up and restore it later.

SmallGuy

Guru
Yeah , everything is possible, but are you ready to help everybody in each configuration?
Definitely no for me. There is enough ink in the forum and around.
Sorry, but I don't have enough time to give.
Follow Joshua's posts and you will find a lot of usefull informations.

Last edited:

t3hG04T

Cadet
Yeah, I didn't go the fullbackup route either, but was happy to find all my torrent files there, so I could re-add them way faster. Just pointing out the way for the ones wanting to experiment.

skolor

Cadet
I think it's not a problem with this plugin specifically but just something between transmission 2.84 and FreeBSD
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/transmission-exited-on-signal-11-core-dumped.49483/

Someone who is experiencing this should file a bug to FreeBSD at https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/query.cgi?format=advanced
Maybe someone can work with crees@FreeBSD.org to get this figured out.

For anyone who doesn't want to go through the roll back process, the link from Joshua indicates this is an issue with a regression to an old libutp bug. Specifically:

net-p2p/transmission-cli and slaves regressed on CVE-2012-6129 after transmission-2.74 because of
r369657. This was fixed by r377674 and r378009. Only transmission-* 2.84_1 were vulnerable, crashes with 2.82_1 could be another bug if they still happen on 2.84.

I was able to simply disable UTP from the Transmission WebUI, and I haven't had a crash all weekend, after having crashes on a daily basis. I'm not 100% positive this is a real fix, but all of the comments here and in the linked FreeBSD thread indicate disabling both utp and DHT should prevent the buggy code from ever getting executed.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@skolor could you try the PBI I linked and see if it still crashes with utp and DHT enabled?

Supa

Patron
For anyone who doesn't want to go through the roll back process, the link from Joshua indicates this is an issue with a regression to an old libutp bug. Specifically:

I was able to simply disable UTP from the Transmission WebUI, and I haven't had a crash all weekend, after having crashes on a daily basis. I'm not 100% positive this is a real fix, but all of the comments here and in the linked FreeBSD thread indicate disabling both utp and DHT should prevent the buggy code from ever getting executed.
This right? I'll try it. I'm too noob to install Joshua's PBI.

g2W7wRF.png

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@Supa
plugins > available > upload. I'd love to know if the updated libutp fixed it so I can push out the fix for everyone.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Okay I'll try it out.

edit /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

Do I need to edit this for the new PBI? Is the directory the same?
why do you need to edit settings.json directly? make sure when you test it you try to force it to crash like everyone's experiencing.

yes, that's where settings.json exists. this and the one in the official repo are identical expect for the updated libutp library. I compiled them both on the same VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.