Transform Qnap TS-410

Kieros

Explorer
Hi everyone. I am new here
I have a Qnap TS-410 and it is getting old and slow. Looking for something new and I became enthousiastic when I ran into the freeNAS/trueNAS. I read somewhere to better ask first than rather buy the components and ask later. So here I am asking perhaps silly questions. There is so much to read. And maybe this helps me speed things up a bit.

So this is what I would like to do.
Use the casing of the qnap TS-410 to build a trueNAS core from it because I think this fits me most. It has 4 bays which is more then enough. I have 2 WD30EFRX red nas drives 3 TB in mirror raid. Which I would like to migrate directly into trueNAS. Is this possible to migrate it without losing the data on it?

Further more.
It is used for home purposes.
File sharing and Photos/video's (Plex)
Streaming 4k hdr for example (netflix or other)
Kodi
Maybe some future stuff I don't know yet.

Should the mobo have HDMI 2 or 2.1? And is this all possible with truenas core? Can it be connected directly to a tv.

It will need a Mini ITX 170x170 to fit in.
What do you people think? Is it good to go for?

I have been looking into the hardware requirements and maybe I need to cut into the case to make some things fit in. But the size dies matter. This one fits perfectly in my fusebox.

I was aiming at the following future hardware
heavy transcoding
1x 10gbe should be sufficient as I only have
1x gbps available port on router and perhaps it is overdone.
16 or 32 gb ecc ram (ecc required?)
An xeon processor not sure what is best yet.
I find it difficult so far to find the right suitable components motherboard and cpu and required ram.

Thanks for any advice and your time for getting me on the right track. It is much appreciated.

Astraea

Dabbler
I would recommend building a new NAS system in a different case as your QNAP is not going to have standard connectors to be able to use the front panel IO or the power supply based on the QNAP TS units I have. You won't be able to just import the data from the QNAP device onto TrueNAS so you will either need new disks for the new NAS and then you can migrate the data and then reuse the disks elsewhere or in the new NAS depending on how you want to setup your pool(s). Or you will have to temporarily move the data off those disks in order to move them to the new NAS and then you will have to import the data.

Kieros

Explorer
I Appriciate your reply. I would like to see some other toughts as well about the rest of the questions. But the amount of replies is not realy inspiring me to choose for trueNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should the mobo have HDMI 2 or 2.1?
There's no reason for it to have these; TrueNAS won't use any graphics capabilities. Likewise with Kodi; TrueNAS will not act as a media center. It can be a media server (with Plex, Emby, or otherwise), but it isn't going to play the audio/video (or display photos) itself. And I'm not at all sure how you want it to handle "netflix or other."

HarryMuscle

Contributor
A good number of people have installed TrueNAS on their QNAP NAS as it was and had good success. However, trying to reuse the case with new hardware inside will be significantly more difficult because the hardware is quite proprietary in its layout and design.

Thanks,
Harry

Kieros

Explorer
Hi. Just to continue and update the story
I think after reading I just want the server to truenas, plex and the files are mostly personal files, movies and photos that I want to view via plex.
I also am looking to run perhaps pfsense on it. I want to run these things on virtualbox on debian.

I have 3 drives 2 existing WD nas drives of 2TB
I Bought 1 newseagate iron wolf 6 TB
I have a 80 GB ssd kingston on which I want to install debian. And from there the virtual boxes.
I am not sure how to backup the data yet. But I was thinking to just take out the 2 mirrored drives. One of the drives has bad sectors.
I was thinking to take out both WD drives and keep the good one as the current backup. Can I just take that out and copy the files from the good one to the new seagate, once the truenas is up and running? Can I setup truenas with the new drive and have truenass discover this mirrored raid? copy the files to the new setup? Would the mirrored drive be readable separatly? The files have to be on there right if I attach it to a laptop?
Or does it need to be rebuilded with a new drive into the current qnap?

In the new setup I do not want to mirror drive but just run backups monthly or so to the external good 2 terra drive.

I have found the following which I might get a hand on. I do not have a high budget at the moment and want to expand on the fly.
I would have about 250 euro available. So I was looking for used parts. I realy find it hard to get this stuff together. Even with the recommended lists next to it, tryign to find my way on all the info's

ASUS P9D-I
Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3 - Quad Core - 3.50 GHz - 80W TDP
2x 8GB 1600 PC3-10600R with ECC not sure which the motherboard is supporting. I could not find it. It just said DDR3 1600/1333 UDIMM with ECC
I am not realy sure what power supply to get for the system.

I hope someone here can show me the right path. And correct me. If needed I will see if I can turn up the budget a little.

Kieros

Explorer
Okay I did some searching but before I was so busy finding a intel solution until I came upon this motherboard of Asrock AMD But in fact I think this might be a cool setup. What do think? Will it work, is it possible? This might be in the budget range. Or is it overdone or very bad?

Asrock B450 gaming-itx/ax motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 series 5500 AM4 Socket 3.60 GHz Processor Cores 6 (Hexa-Core) 12 threads (no graphics)
and matching 2x16 GB ram 3200 ecc unbuffered supporting memory

Still very new to this, what psu should I have ? Which is not to big?