Transferring data from drobo to new TrueNAS build

jbarry14

Explorer
I have just built a new TrueNAS server. I am wondering the best method to transfer all of the data from my drobo to my new Truenas build.

This is all new to me and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Connect your Drobo to your computer.

Connect to a network share (probably SMB) that you created on your TrueNAS server.

Copy the files from the Drobo to that network share using rsync or robocopy.

If you wanted to be more specific about the Drobo model that you have, maybe I can be more specific with the answer (there's a networked model and a bunch of direct attached models... I've assumed the latter in the response above).

jbarry14

Explorer
Connect your Drobo to your computer.

Connect to a network share (probably SMB) that you created on your TrueNAS server.

Copy the files from the Drobo to that network share using rsync or robocopy.

If you wanted to be more specific about the Drobo model that you have, maybe I can be more specific with the answer (there's a networked model and a bunch of direct attached models... I've assumed the latter in the response above).
Sorry, i should have been more specific. The drobo is a B810N. I am new to TrueNAS. I have been trying to find a good guide on how to use rsync or robocopy.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I suspect rsync will be the best candidate to go directly from the Drobo to TrueNAS (although you will actually do it from the TrueNAS side).

Step 1, get an SSH session to your TrueNAS server (look that up separately, but you'll need to activate the SSH service and use a client like Putty or just ssh at the command prompt depending on which client OS you have).

something like ssh root@192.168.1.2 and then enter your password (obviously knowing that your TrueNAS IP will not be that one, so modify as needed)

Step 2, get yourself into a new tmux session (so that if you get disconnected, the job won't stop and you can re-connect to check in on it later:

tmux new-session -s transfer

Later, if you get disconnected (or use CTRL + B, then D to disconnect on purpose)

tmux attach -t transfer

Step 3, from your tmux session, run:

rsync -auv --progress drobousername@192.168.1.3:/path/on/drobo /mnt/pool/dataset/on/truenas

Input your drobo password for the user you specified.

Then either watch it go or move away and come back later to see how it's moving and use the tmux attach and disconnect accordingly as instructed above.

That's assuming you're allowing connection to the drobo with SFTP or file copy over SSH (which is probably the simplest way to make it go).

jbarry14

Explorer
I suspect rsync will be the best candidate to go directly from the Drobo to TrueNAS (although you will actually do it from the TrueNAS side).

Step 1, get an SSH session to your TrueNAS server (look that up separately, but you'll need to activate the SSH service and use a client like Putty or just ssh at the command prompt depending on which client OS you have).

something like ssh root@192.168.1.2 and then enter your password (obviously knowing that your TrueNAS IP will not be that one, so modify as needed)

Step 2, get yourself into a new tmux session (so that if you get disconnected, the job won't stop and you can re-connect to check in on it later:

tmux new-session -s transfer

Later, if you get disconnected (or use CTRL + B, then D to disconnect on purpose)

tmux attach -t transfer

Step 3, from your tmux session, run:

rsync -auv --progress drobousername@192.168.1.3:/path/on/drobo /mnt/pool/dataset/on/truenas

Input your drobo password for the user you specified.

Then either watch it go or move away and come back later to see how it's moving and use the tmux attach and disconnect accordingly as instructed above.

That's assuming you're allowing connection to the drobo with SFTP or file copy over SSH (which is probably the simplest way to make it go).
Thank you for your help, I have it transferring. Is there anyway to speed up the transfer? It is at about 10MB/s and I have about 8TB to transfer.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there anyway to speed up the transfer? It is at about 10MB/s and I have about 8TB to transfer.
It depends on many factors... are you transferring large numbers of small files? (maybe you're at the maximum speed already)

How have you connected your hardware? (network in particular)

What's your Pool layout?

How much RAM do you have?

Does the Drobo support NFS or SMB? (and what speeds of transfer have you see from those?)

jbarry14

Explorer
It depends on many factors... are you transferring large numbers of small files? (maybe you're at the maximum speed already)

How have you connected your hardware? (network in particular)

What's your Pool layout?

How much RAM do you have?

Does the Drobo support NFS or SMB? (and what speeds of transfer have you see from those?)
I am transferring alot of smaller files. Its all pictures, adobe photoshop/illustrator files, etc.

Both the Drobo and Truenas are connected via 1Gbe connection through a ubiquiti switch

Single Pool layout - 2Vdevs
8 - 2TB Ironwolf SSD's Raid-Z2 1VDEV
4 - 4TB Ironwolf SSD's Raid-Z2 2VDEV
1- 1TB Samsung NVME 980 pro cache drive
1 -1Tb samsung NVME 980 pro log drive

The system has dual AMD EPYC 7542's
128GB DDR4-3200 ECC Ram per CPU for 256GB Total

Drobo does support both NFS and SMB - With the kind of data we pull from the server to work from, speed has not been an issue from the drobo, so I have never really tested the transfer speeds.

I have noticed from the truenas dashboard that ZFS Cache is at about 220GB right now.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
ZFS Cache is at about 220GB right now.
Normal, but not helpful in this case as you're not reading/writing any of the same data repeatedly as part of an evacuation to a new system.

I am transferring alot of smaller files. Its all pictures, adobe photoshop/illustrator files, etc.
You're probably metadata bound in that case and are not likely to see a lot of good performance during this activity no matter what you do.

You may have seen better performance if you had a special metadata VDEV on fast mirrored SSDs in your pool and/or had configured your pool with mirrors... but that may or may not be a good thing for the future performance of it if your use case was already fine on the Drobo (which won't have been mirrors either).

1 -1Tb samsung NVME 980 pro log drive
Maybe that will help you if there are sync writes in your setup (but it's way too big... 30GB is about the max you would ever be able to use... and can't help you in this case where writes should be async)

1- 1TB Samsung NVME 980 pro cache drive
Also too big in general and I question if you would need it at all with as much RAM as you have.

As a reflection, perhaps using your 2 NVME drives as a special/metadata VDEV would be a better option that has some chance of bringing you a lot more speed now and in the future.

You can either scrap the pool and start again or remove the log and cache and add them back, but you've already written the metadata for what's copied now, so you would need to re-copy the first part to get the metadata in the right place.

jbarry14

Explorer
You may have seen better performance if you had a special metadata VDEV on fast mirrored SSDs in your pool and/or had configured your pool with mirrors... but that may or may not be a good thing for the future performance of it if your use case was already fine on the Drobo (which won't have been mirrors either).
I am very new to all of this. I just kept reading everywhere that a Raid-Z2 was the way to go.

Maybe that will help you if there are sync writes in your setup (but it's way too big... 30GB is about the max you would ever be able to use... and can't help you in this case where writes should be async)
Yeah, I know they are big drives, but I had them laying around so I thought I would utilize them.

As a reflection, perhaps using your 2 NVME drives as a special/metadata VDEV would be a better option that has some chance of bringing you a lot more speed now and in the future.

You can either scrap the pool and start again or remove the log and cache and add them back, but you've already written the metadata for what's copied now, so you would need to re-copy the first part to get the metadata in the right place.
once my transfer is complete, what would be the procedure for doing this? Would it be of any benefit for what we use the server for? I may end up in the future try creating some VM's just for very light use. I would rather not scrap what has been going if I don't have to.

Also, I did add a Intel X540T2 NIC. I am currently using the onboard Ethernet. But could I use the NIC to increase bandwidth? I have a total of 4 Ethernet ports.

sretalla