SOLVED Transfer rate drops to 0MB/s randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMSevilla

Cadet
Hello, I've been using FreeNAS 9.3 stable for about a year and a half now, never had issues with it until I did something lacking research today. I've searched the forums and found some topics similar to this one, but I haven't seen something exactly like this here--and if I missed it, by all means show me where if possible.

First, some details:

FreeNAS 9.3 running inside ESXI 6.0
FreeNAS is installed in a 16GB vdisk
Using LSI 9211-8i in IT mode via PCI Passthrough
4 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives in RAIDZ1
20GB of ECC DDR3 RAM allocated to this VM
1Gb network
No cache SSD

Today I got the urge to upgrade from 9.3 to version 11. I checked some videos out and some tutorials and it seemed fairly straightforward. Without too much hesitation (after making sure all data was backed up/made a snapshot of the VM) I went ahead and tried to do the upgrade through the option within the FreeNAS GUI. I changed the track to FreeNAS 11 (STABLE) and downloaded the components and asked it to reboot when complete.

Along the way of the installer...it got stuck. I wish I had the screenshot, but it didn't make it past the black screen where it's running through the config/processes when it tries to boot. It stayed there for 20+ mins before I figured I'd cancel this and revert back to my snapshot and much to my expectation, it came back to normal, or so I thought.

I began to notice that double clicking into the network share in Windows I created in a FreeNAS dataset would hang, and after maybe 10-15 seconds it'd continue. I thought maybe it was a fluke with my network, mostly because after the 1st occurrence, it'd be fine and work normally.

Still keen to try again to upgrade to 11, I had remember that I didn't have all my Plex media fully backed up, so I opened up ROBOCOPY via the command prompt and ran a copy/mirror function as I have hundreds of times in the past without issues. The file transfer began and randomly it'd stop at whatever % it was...and after 15 to 20 secs it'd continue...it did this many times in the span of an hour. I did a copy/paste over the Windows file explorer and noticed the transfer speed would drop to 0 MB/s....stay there for like 15 seconds...and then resume.

Now one thing worth mentioning is that no, this isn't something I may just not have noticed in the past. I know it may dip from time to time, but hitting 0 and staying that way many times over a single file transfer/ROBOCOPY doesn't seem right.

Did I screw up my FreeNAS installation? And even so...how? I made a snapshot before ANY changes were made to the VM. Shouldn't it have just literally picked up where it left off? I also noticed it takes probably 3 times as long to go from completely off to on.

At this point I may just start from scratch and build a new FreeNAS 11 VM and use that, but I just want to know if I may have caused a problem by upgrading it. Is it not recommended at all to do any upgrades if FreeNAS is on ESXI?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Backup your config and then install FreeNAS fresh. Then import the config if you are having issues getting the upgrade to work. Who knows what could be causing the issue with virtualization it technically should work without issues but it's not always that way. You could roll back as well if need be since you have a snapshot of it.

I don't remember how long it took to boot 9 on my install but it did not go up drastically with 11.1.

CMSevilla

Cadet
So I did a clean installation of FreeNAS 11.1 on my ESXI system and it hasn't had any issues. I wish I knew what had happened that caused this but I assume I screwed up the OS somehow when I worked on the upgrade.

Makes me wonder if snapshotting FreeNAS was the problem. Because it has PCI Passthrough, I had to snapshot it when it was off.

Don't know but a simple solution is to just backup the config file. You can always reinstall and load the config in and be back to a good configuration.

Go ahead and mark this as solved since everything is working ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.