Transcend MSA370 as SLOG and other hardware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Newbie warning] I will be migrating a slowish FreeNAS that is still running on an old HP MicroServer N36L to a new HPE MicroServer Gen10 soon. It is likely to start with 2 x 8 TB (or 10 TB) Seagate IronWolf or WD Red drives, 16 GB ECC RAM and it would boot from 2 x SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB 3s. It is for a small office: backup, file sharing, and jailed mailbox storage and video recording functions. I would like the writes to the file shares be reasonably fast.

Is it worth installing a dedicated SLOG device in this case? If so, how about a Transcend MSA370 64-128 GB which claims to have "PowerShield to prevent data loss when sudden power off"—or is this the wrong type of power protection for a SLOG? Ideally, the SLOG device that I am looking for would be about €100 or so.

Apologies for the inexperience which I am sure shows through my question. However, almost all the hardware suggestions that I have read over here seem to focus on larger, more mission-critical systems than what I would need. Many thanks for your help.

[Edit]
I have just found out on Anandtech that the power loss protection on MSA370 is "partial":
Interestingly the SSD370 employs partial power loss protection as there are ceramic capacitors on the PCB to provide power in case of a sudden power loss. Ceramic capacitors are fairly low capacity and can't provide the necessary power to flush everything from the DRAM cache to NAND, so user data in the DRAM is still in jeopardy, but the capacitors ensure that data at rest (i.e. in lower pages) and the NAND mapping table are safe.

I suppose this device is no good for SLOG. Having kept on searching, I now believe Intel SSD DC S3520 240 GB (less endurance, faster write, slower read) or S3610 200 GB (more endurance, slower write, faster read) might be appropriate. Anyone?

Last edited:

Thomas102

Explorer
Hi,
SLOG only helps for uses case that requires synchronous writes (typically VMs). In your case writes will be cached in memory and your SLOG not used.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not to mention that that SSD would be a horrible choice for SLOG.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Transcend. Those Intels are just less than ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.