Time to Virtualize (Proxmox)

thatflashcat

Explorer
I've been running Freenas baremetal for the past couple of years. I recently realized it would be much easier to consolidate hardware into a single virtualization host using PCI passthrough (LSI card, one nic for freenas, gpu for a windows 10).

I've looked at this guide and think I'm on the right track.

My freenas specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2
Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F
RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC
Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM in RAIDZ2
Controller: LSI H220
PSU: EVGA 650w G3

I'm planning to give the freenas vm 32GB of ram and 8 threads. At present the system is overkill.

I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes and compromise my data.
  • I’m planning to use a virtual disk for this from Proxmox. I need to disable scrubs for this disk in freenas, right?
  • My board has two NICs. Should a network card be directly passed to freenas?
  • I already have freenas installed, of course. Should I try to copy this installation into a vm or make a fresh install and load the config?
My understanding is there is nothing wrong with virtualizing freenas if you do it correctly. The hardest part will be testing the virtualized setup, as I can't use the baremetal config when the virtualized one is running.

Am I on the right track here?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
make a fresh install and load the config?
This.

I’m planning to use a virtual disk for this from Proxmox. I need to disable scrubs for this disk in freenas, right?
If you mean for the boot pool, fine and leave the scrubs.

My board has two NICs. Should a network card be directly passed to freenas?
Can be if your hardware supports that. Otherwise use VMXNET driver for virtual NIC.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My understanding is there is nothing wrong with virtualizing freenas if you do it correctly. The hardest part will be testing the virtualized setup, as I can't use the baremetal config when the virtualized one is running.

Am I on the right track here?

I don't see anything obviously wrong. Please note that your definition and my definition of "testing" might be somewhat different. I would avoid putting anything irreplaceable on the thing for at least maybe a year through several updates of both the hypervisor and TrueNAS firmwares.

In the end, there is no way to do this kind of new hypervisor testing without taking a leap of faith, but it is best to make that leap with a good bungee cord and also a parachute and an ambulance standing by.

Those who try to learn from the successes -- and failures -- of the past are much more likely to experience success.

Good luck!

thatflashcat

Explorer
If you mean for the boot pool, fine and leave the scrubs.

I was referring to the boot pool, yes.

I don't see anything obviously wrong. Please note that your definition and my definition of "testing" might be somewhat different. I would avoid putting anything irreplaceable on the thing for at least maybe a year through several updates of both the hypervisor and TrueNAS firmwares.

The awkward part for me is I only have a single server. I would like to do cloud backups as opposed to physical offsite ones but my internet is far too slow (upload is 1/40th my download).

I'm considering scrapping this idea and using Truenas Scale once that is stable instead. I just need to be able to passthrough a graphics card to a windows 10 VM and it will work.