Time Machine snapshots no longer working

bryanz

Cadet
Hi, I have a FreeNAS Mini 2.0 running TrueNAS 13.0-U6.1. All was well until I upgraded my System Dataset Pool. The original one was getting full so I added a couple more disks as a separate pool, replicated the original pool to the new one, disconnected the old one, and renamed the new one to match the old one. Now, as far as I can tell, everything is working fine except the automated Time Machine snapshots. I know they're created upon client disconnect, and I've tried manually disconnecting my client after a Time Machine backup, as well as rebooting the client, so I'm assuming one of those would have created a disconnect. Still, no snaphots, other than the automated daily ones of the whole pool like "auto-20240328.0400-6w". I removed the SMB Time Machine share and re-added it, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any ideas?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi, I have a FreeNAS Mini 2.0 running TrueNAS 13.0-U6.1. All was well until I upgraded my System Dataset Pool. The original one was getting full so I added a couple more disks as a separate pool, replicated the original pool to the new one, disconnected the old one, and renamed the new one to match the old one. Now, as far as I can tell, everything is working fine except the automated Time Machine snapshots. I know they're created upon client disconnect, and I've tried manually disconnecting my client after a Time Machine backup, as well as rebooting the client, so I'm assuming one of those would have created a disconnect. Still, no snaphots, other than the automated daily ones of the whole pool like "auto-20240328.0400-6w". I removed the SMB Time Machine share and re-added it, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any ideas?
There were some changes to time machine operations from macos clients. The issue is addressed in newer TrueNAS versions (e.g. SCALE Cobia, or 13.3 nightlies). This will be addressed in 13.3 for core.