NFSv4 over SSH tunnel no longer working with TrueNAS-13.0-U4

mgh

Cadet
Hello,

after running TrueNAS 12 for some time I'm currently moving to TrueNAS 13. Since the update failed I did a new install of TrueNAS 13.0-U4 and am currently trying to restore my configuration. Unfortunately there is an issue with my NFSv4 configuration:

On the old installation (TrueNAS 12) I used an SSL tunnel to forward NFSv4 mounts from the client to the TrueNAS machine. The ssh tunnel at the client is setup as:

mgh@client$ sudo ssh -f -N -L 3049:truenas:2049 root@truenas

The NFS mount is then done as:

mgh@client$ sudo mount -tnfs4 -o port=3049 localhost:/mnt/data0/nfs/pictures /mnt/pictures

This worked fine on TrueNAS 12 but does no longer work on my current system running TrueNAS 13.0-U4. Up to now I checked the following:

1. opening a shell using ssh root@freenas from the client works, i.e., the correct ssh keys should be in place
2. TCP forwarding is enabled in the TrueNAS settings for SSH
3. /etc/exports reads as

V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/data0/nfs -alldirs -network 192.168.88.0/24
/mnt/data0/nfs -alldirs 127.0.0.1

4. mounting from the client without using the ssh tunnel

mgh@client$ sudo mount -tnfs4 freenas:/mnt/data0/nfs/pictures /mnt/pictures

works, i.e., the NFSv4 configuration should be more or less OK.

5. mounting over the ssh tunnel gives an message in /var/log/messages

May 21 00:53:26 freenas 1 2023-05-21T00:53:26.597494+02:00 freenas.home.local sshd 2052 - - error: connect_to freenas port 2049: failed.

For me this looks like for some reason the sshd running on the FreeNAS machine is not allowed to connect/forward to the NFS server running on the same machine while remote connects to the same NFS server are accepted.

Thanks for your support, any suggestions are appreciated.

mgh

Cadet
Finally got it to work - still not sure what exactly caused the issue. I'll let you know in case I manage to track it down.