TheServerStore SV-SAS3 FreeNAS

TL;DR: Does TheServerStore's SV-SAS3 work well for TN assuming I want to throw just 4 WD Red drives in it?

They promote a custom build with all but the drives, and that's what I need. Is there better bang for the buck out there? 20-cores is overkill, and this monster is likely pretty loud.

Minus the drives (I want to reuse my Reds), my budget is around $1000. It'll be in the next room from me, so noise is a consideration.

I'm looking to refresh my TN build. My old, custom build from random parts had an i3-3220 CPU, 16GB RAM, and 4x4TB WD Red. It's quiet and has run great for years, but I barely have enough RAM to run a couple linux VMs (where I write apps that play games for me as I'm an automation freak), a half dozen TN plugins where Plex is the most used, and an extra jail where I run Cacti for graphing or something else not covered in plugins. I do have Plexpass, a couple tuners for recording live TV, and a library of movies. All of this works fine across a home network though my media is generally stored in 1080 and not transcoded. I can provide more details if desired, but the goal is to get a little better processing power to distribute to maybe one more VM, and increased RAM for that as well.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TL;DR: Does TheServerStore's SV-SAS3 work well for TN assuming I want to throw just 4 WD Red drives in it?

They promote a custom build with all but the drives, and that's what I need. Is there better bang for the buck out there? 20-cores is overkill, and this monster is likely pretty loud.

Minus the drives (I want to reuse my Reds), my budget is around $1000. It'll be in the next room from me, so noise is a consideration.

I'm looking to refresh my TN build. My old, custom build from random parts had an i3-3220 CPU, 16GB RAM, and 4x4TB WD Red. It's quiet and has run great for years, but I barely have enough RAM to run a couple linux VMs (where I write apps that play games for me as I'm an automation freak), a half dozen TN plugins where Plex is the most used, and an extra jail where I run Cacti for graphing or something else not covered in plugins. I do have Plexpass, a couple tuners for recording live TV, and a library of movies. All of this works fine across a home network though my media is generally stored in 1080 and not transcoded. I can provide more details if desired, but the goal is to get a little better processing power to distribute to maybe one more VM, and increased RAM for that as well.

If you want better community feedback, you should probably not use some custom private label name for a product. Were you to say "Does a Supermicro X10DRH-iT in a Supermicro 12-bay with BPN-SAS3-826EL1-N4 work well?" you'd likely get more positive answers. In my experience, most people are unlikely to Google wtf you are talking about with "TheServerStore's SV-SAS3" which tends to bring the discussion to a quick finish.

Some random comments: Your current system with 16GB of RAM is really not large enough to run any virtual machines, and you are probably squeezing the ARC if you are actually doing so.

and this monster is likely pretty loud.

This is probably true, but you are cautioned against trying to silence it. I suggest using my reply at

as a starting point.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
As @jgreco suggests, linking a URL goes a long way in describing the system in question:

I assume you're speaking of this system:

Which does at least provide a fairly detailed parts listing in the details.

SYSTEM:
Supermicro 6028U-TR4T+ SAS3 FreeNAS ZFS Unraid 12GBPs

PROCESSOR:
Intel Xeon E5-2640v4 10 Core 2.40GHz 25MB LGA2011-3 Processor

MEMORY:
64GB (4X 16GB)DDR-4 ECC REG

HARD DRIVES:
12x Trays Included, NO HARD DRIVES INSTALLED

RAID CONTROLLER:
12Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E 3.0 SATA SAS RAID Controller FLASHED TO IT MODE

Backplane:
BPN-SAS3-826EL1

SYSTEM BOARD:
X10DRU-i

Power Supply:
2x PWS-1K02A-1R 1000W

Rails:
Rack Rails Available

It's a Supermicro 826 unit, meaning it will have high static pressure 80mm fans. Aside from those, your most likely source of noise will be the PSUs - if they can be swapped with the -SQ line of "Super Quiet" that may help. The user in the thread linked above saw a major improvement just by swapping the PSU.