The replication failed for the local ZFS primary/mac-data while attempting to send snapshot auto...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Hi,

I have created a zvol, which is connected via iSCSI from a Mac. I setup auto-snapshots and a local replication task to a external backup drive. I have done the same procedure on a regular dataset and I received no errors. The data (non zvol replication) appears intact.

However, when I created the zvol replication, it appeared to kick-off and replicate to the backup drive. I thought nothing of it. Later, checking my email I received this email:

Hello,
The replication failed for the local ZFS primary/mac-data while attempting to
send snapshot auto-20170614.1558-1y to localhost

Browsing the volumes in the web gui, it appears the backup used space (602.3GiB) is very close to the source dataset size (602.1GiB). I have daily snapshots setup on the zvol, and here is my replication config:

2017-06-14_21-29-30.jpg

2017-06-15_17-09-58.png

A little more setup information:

• Mac Pro, 2 x 6 Core 3.46Hz Xeons, 64gb ECC RAM
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)
  • 7 x 3TB Toshiba drives in "primary" data pool in raidz2
  • 5 x 2TB Seagate drives in "backup1" backup pool (externally attached) in raidz1

My questions are:

1. I assume one can replicate a zvol just like a regular dataset. Is my assumption correct?
  2. Is there any way to tell that the replication did in-fact fail or succeed? My research suggested others have received similar errors but all data transferred fine.
  3. How can I determine what caused this error and troubleshoot it to ensure a reliable replication is consistently executing?

Thank you.

Last edited:

SwisherSweet

Contributor
I'm also seeing this. It reports the replication as failed then after a short time it reports as up-to-date. There is a bug for it but I might help to add to the ticket. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23837

Thanks for the info. Mine shows "Up-To-Date" but the "Last snapshot sent to remote side" is blank:

2017-06-15_17-09-58.png

Is this what you are seeing and believe it is a bug as you reported it?

Are you also having this problem with a zvol or regular dataset?

Thanks again!

Bonnie Follweiler

QA Technician
iXsystems
When I reported the bug I was using a dataset. It looks like my "Last snapshot sent to remote side" was populated (according to my screenshots)
According to the bug ticket it looks like the issue is scheduled to be resolved in 11.0-u1

Status
Not open for further replies.