Testing memory and HDDs in a production system

Jatrabari

Contributor
Hello,

what are the best practices besides using a different system (I have no access to a second FreeNAS machine) if I have an active a FreeNAS server and I buy more RAM or HDDs to test those before putting them to active use so this doesn't happen?

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Testing memory has to be done in a separate system as discovering memory errors in a productions system can have any impacts from data errors, application abortion to operating system halt.

Jatrabari

Contributor
Even if you export the pools and physically detach the drives from the HBA before inserting and testing? Of course then FreeNAS would have a fit because all the pools aren't there?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Of course then FreeNAS would have a fit because all the pools aren't there?

In addition to that, this FreeNAS system would not make up an "active, production system" (edit: during memory testing) as mentioned in the subject.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This is a home NAS so downtime isn't a problem. It takes how long it takes.
To ensure that there is no impact to your FreeNAS installation, simply boot from some other boot device, in addition to disconnecting the storage disks, and test the new memory along, then put all the memory in and test it together. If it passes, you shut the system down, switch back to the FreeNAS boot media and reconnect the drives. FreeNAS will not care that it was turned off for a few days and all the configuration settings (except the amount of RAM) will be the same. The amount of memory being different won't affect the system negatively if you don't have any tunable set that specifies the amount of memory.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. While testing memory in your live FreeNAS system presents a difficulty, you should have no trouble testing the disks while FreeNAS is running. That is fairly common and well documented. If you do have a question about it, just ask. I have a separate system that I test my disks in, but not everyone has 4 rack-mount servers at home.

ethereal

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer