badblocks testing: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Status
Not open for further replies.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I don't have individual lights hooked up for each drive yet, but the built in activity light goes on steady as soon as I start one test. I personnaly believe the test is actually being run. I'm going to look more into expanders, but I can't use backplanes in my custom case. The biggest hold back that is stopping me from just buying 2 8port hba, and just dealing with 100mbps network till the drivers come, is my case holds 30 drives. I would like to be able to expand to that if I need to in the future. I assume they make expanders that are not a backplane, but I imagine that would be a rats nest of cables, and probably more money too....

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I also did a bunch of testing today with a couple other 3ware cards on a windows 7 machine. Performance was terrible there too, at least till I flashed an older firmware to the card. The cards with the older firmware, while working great on windows now, still suck with freenas. I tested jbod versus single disk volumes too and found virtually no difference in speed for windows or freenas. I was rather surprised that after creating a single disk volume and loading a few files on it while connected to the 3ware, I could later simply connect it to a mobo port and still access the data in windows. There was a weird, small additional partition on the drive though.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
Tomorrow I may try creating a couple test zpools to see what horrid transfer speeds I get out of them with the 3ware. Maybe it will be better with actual data, I'm sure it won't, but I'm going to try anyway.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a really dumb question I'm sure, but why do the sas expanders look like pcie expansion cards and what purpose does the the board edge connector serve?
Power supply, as an alternative to Molex.

tvsjr

Guru

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
So I ordered 2 used IBM M1015 HBAs off fleabay for $160 shipped. Bought them from a seller in Minnesota with 438 100% positive feedback, so hopefully they will be authentic. I really can only use 1 till my network drivers come out. If the PCIe connector is only for power, would there be any reason it wouldn't work if I just cut up a PCIe riser cable and put a SATA power connector on it? I see that the PCIe pinout only contains 12V, 3.3V and Gnd. Also, from my understanding SAS expanders are transparent to OSes, so would any of them work? I was looking specifically at the HP 468406-B21, which can be had used for $125 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0025ZQ16K Another upside, besides price, for the HP card would be if I ever decide to put my drives in a separate case, it already has an external SAS plug.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I am planning to go ahead with the aforementioned SAS expander and the M1015, but did test the 3ware controller more.
Now I'm really confused as to why badblocks doesn't work right with it. I set up two 3 disk raidZ1 pools, one on the 3ware and one on the mobo ports. I moved my Steam backup file (24GB) to the 3ware pool three times immediately in a row, renaming the file each time. Write performance seemed great to me. Watching the Ethernet transfer speed via windows resource monitor, it would stay a little below 90% of the 1gbps, with a reoccurring dip to about 50% for 12 out of every 60 seconds. That works out to me as almost 80% of the 1gbps transfer speed. Read speed was only about 80% of the 1gbps, but no strange dips to 50%. Next I tested the mobo ports zpool, write performance appeared to average out to about 75% of the 1gbps. Read performance was a little better, about 80% of 1gbps

Do note, my 3ware pool was made up of three 4TB seagate green drives. My onboard connector pool was made up of three older 2TB drives (2 seagate, 1 hitachi). The different drives are likely the biggest discrepancy in the transfer speeds. My testing is far from scientific. A lot is left up to user interpritation, and the tools used are far from optimal. The sole purpose of my testing was to see if my 3ware card would function at reasonable speed with freenas, as it doesn't when running Badblocks.

Also note, Plugable makes a gigabit USB 2.0 NIC(USB2-E1000) that works with freenas and gets about 250mbps throughput.

tvsjr

Guru
Badblocks requires fairly low-level access to the drive... just like ZFS and FreeNAS. Which the 3Ware card doesn't give you. Which we've already covered.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I want to say thank you to everyone that has responded to my posts and helped me. Also, thank you for being understanding of the fact that I know nothing about FreeBSD, enterprise grade hardware and little about hardware in general. I did go ahead and order an HP SAS expander. From my understanding the only data cables I should need are: 1 sff-8087 miniSAS/sff-8087 miniSAS (for connecting expander to M1015), and 4 sff 8087 miniSAS/4sata forward breakout cables (to connect expander to disks). I do find it interesting, that searches for 468406-B21 turn up results for 468406-B21, searches for 468405-002 turn up results for 468405-002, but searches for 487738-001 turn up results for both 468406-B21 and 468405-002. Some of the results for 487738-001 even has both 468405-002 and 468406-B21 in the same item description. Both cards appear physically the same, with exception to a plastic tail piece and maybe some cables. However, 468405-002 is about half the cost. Is 487738-001 just a generic number for HP SAS expanders? Also, me being a cheap a** you know which one I ordered. Here's hoping everything works right......

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
This thread is rather old, but I have a contribution and a question.

Contribution: This page on Fester's FreeNAS configuration guide provides excellent guidance for burning in hard drives.

Question: Do any modifications to the sysctl command (sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10) eliminate the inappropriate ioctl for device message?

Status
Not open for further replies.