Test out my used FreeNAS Mini purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I brought a used FreeNAS Mini on Ebay for about $560.00. It has missing disk trays, I am not sure what I will do about that yet... :D

But my main question is how do I run test on its hardware and make sure it is still functioning?

My plan is to, 1) clean it up, blow dust and wipe the casing; 2). Follow instructions and install latest stable release. 3). Make sure all the peripherals (USB, fan, display, etc) works. 4) do some sort of test if I can for CPU, memory, and that SSD comes with the unit. 5). Get a disk tray and start playing.

Can someone point me out how to test point 4) above? Does FreeNAS have some tools for me to test the hardware?

Thanks,
-Peter

PS: where can I buy some parts for FreeNAS Mini, like the disk tray? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Nick2253

Wizard
I would remove the SSD from the unit and use a secure erase tool on it. You never know if something you're picking up from eBay (especially something used for secure data storage) has little virtual gremlins attached to it that will steal yo' data.

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
I would remove the SSD from the unit and use a secure erase tool on it. You never know if something you're picking up from eBay (especially something used for secure data storage) has little virtual gremlins attached to it that will steal yo' data.

Turns out when it arrived, only ram is on it. No SSD. This is not really a good deal, it is 2015 hardware. I am putting my own SSD on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.