SOLVED Temps in Fahrenheit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
This may be a silly noob question, but is there a way to change temperatures in Reporting to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Just remember anything over about 45 is probably bad news and you're golden, even if you don't understand the numbers.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's not a noob question.

Here's the answer: No one uses Fahrenheit to monitor computer systems. Like, literally no one. Not even in the United States. If you're man enough to have a FreeNAS, then you are man enough to get used to Celsius, sir! I wouldn't even know if 95F (for example) is "hot" for my computer or hard drives, to be honest.

Room temperature: 25C
Your hard drive should be below: 37C at the worst
Things that are getting hot: 40C
Things that will burn you, and your CPU does not want to be above: 60C.

Piece of cake sir.

Chris Dill

Contributor

Here's the answer: No one uses Fahrenheit to monitor computer systems. Like, literally no one. Not even in the United States. If you're man enough to have a FreeNAS, then you are man enough to get used to Celsius, sir! I wouldn't even know if 95F (for example) is "hot" for my computer or hard drives, to be honest.

Piece of cake sir.

Looking at your system spec, you run your jails on a SSD- good idea. I might do this, instead of hosting them on my storage drives. Do you run a mirror or any type of raid, or just the one disk?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Looking at your system spec, you run your jails on a SSD- good idea. I might do this, instead of hosting them on my storage drives. Do you run a mirror or any type of raid, or just the one disk?

So, quite a few of us that have been in the community for 4+ years actually do this...run the jails on a separate SSD. I have to admit, we have no particularly good reason for it. It somehow just seems like the right thing to do.

To answer your inquiry, I do not mirror the jail disk. Instead, since I can recreate all the jails if I really had to, and the data in the there is merely inconvenient (not impossible) to recreate, I have a different (SATA-port saving) strategy to at least do SOMETHING to take advantage of the ZFS for the SSD:

1. I set copies=2 on the jail ssd. This stores two copies of each data block. While certainly nowhere near as good as a proper mirror (since it is the same device), it is better than nothing, and the SSD is way way way way bigger than I need anyway.
  2. On the main pool, I have a special "ssd backup" dataset, set to compression=gzip9. On the first of each month, I have a script that snapshots, recursively, the ssd, and then "zfs send"s that to a file on the compressed dataset in the main raid-z2 pool. Compressed size of the ssd is typically less than 50% of the logical used, so all my jails I get away with 17GB or something on disk, total. This doesn't even register in my life, 17GB, of course.
  3. In the unlikely event of a failure of the SSD (that's why I use a good quality SSD for the jails), I'll simply buy a new SSD, and "zfs recv" one of the backups. At worst, I'll be less than a month out of date, so a couple hours with Plex metadata, and we're back in business.
That's my strategy at least. Didn't want to waste a precious SATA port with a mirror for the SSD. This is my next best idea. I don't know, maybe it's {feces}.

necronn99

Cadet

Piece of cake sir.

Really. That is odd. I use Fahrenheit on almost all my settings. 0C not too much . I would say its an easy convert considering most Americans use Fahrenheit ..
Regardless of the pissing contest on this GLOBAL crap . Is there a way to get this reporting Fahrenheit? and not Ass-backwards Celsius

diskdiddler

Wizard
Really. That is odd. I use Fahrenheit on almost all my settings. 0C not too much . I would say its an easy convert considering most Americans use Fahrenheit ..
Regardless of the pissing contest on this GLOBAL crap . Is there a way to get this reporting Fahrenheit? and not Ass-backwards Celsius

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...hrome.0.0l3.4471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

""At this time, only three countries—Burma, Liberia, and the US—have not adopted the InternationalSystem of Units (SI, or metric system) as their official system of weights and measures. ""

NASA uses metric.
Star Trek was forward thinking enough to use metric in an American 60s show, depicting the future.

Honestly I'm proud and impressed that the American led, FreeNAS development team, are consistent with most software of the rest of the world and use the standard most people use.

It's 2019, sorry mate.

necronn99

Cadet
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...hrome.0.0l3.4471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

""At this time, only three countries—Burma, Liberia, and the US—have not adopted the InternationalSystem of Units (SI, or metric system) as their official system of weights and measures. ""

NASA uses metric.
Star Trek was forward thinking enough to use metric in an American 60s show, depicting the future.

Honestly I'm proud and impressed that the American led, FreeNAS development team, are consistent with most software of the rest of the world and use the standard most people use.

It's 2019, sorry mate.

Again what 2019 have to do with rating temperature . MATE!

NASA is a globalist mecca . enough said. Again if I want to hear how your messed up nation counts failures. ILL ask .. until then STFU

From your page you copy and pasted from.:
By the way, the temperature scales are different too. We didn't want to make things too easy for you! Though not technically part of the metric system, Americans measure temperature in Fahrenheit, not Centigrade. You may turn on the television and listen for the weather and hear that it is 70 degrees outside. No, you won't pass out and be vaporized by the sun; 70 degrees Fahrenheit is actually very pleasant, about 21 degrees Centigrade. Centigrade has been used around the world from the mid 20th century but again, Americans held fast to the original Fahrenheit system.

There is no reason to expect that we will change over to the Metric System and Centigrade anytime soon.
So again how can we change this ass backwards reporting ..

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm closing off this thread because this violates the rules, which require some civility. The forum rules are conveniently linked for you at the top of every page, "Forum Rules", in red.

The technically correct answer is that subsystems typically report in 'C, as that's what is used in the industry to measure system temperatures.

There isn't much point in converting to degrees-F. @DrKK nailed this early on.

When you look at a specifications sheet for HDD's, motherboards, memory, general ambient environmentals in a server, etc., the temperatures are stated in 'C. I can't recall having seen it listed in 'F for many years.

It doesn't matter that Americans measure temperature in 'F. I'm an American. I know I like temperatures in the range of 60'F-68'F, possibly a side effect of data center work. I know most people are about 5-10'F warmer in their preferences.

Yet I'm not setting the house thermostat. I don't need to be able to relate direct personal knowledge of my preferred environmental temperatures to what is going on inside a server. I need to be able to compare what's going on, being reported by the sensors on a server, with the spec sheets for the equipment. These are things that natively report in 'C, and usually *ONLY* in 'C. It isn't clear that there's any value in trying to convert some of those readings to 'F.

Nevertheless, don't let that stop you from putting in a feature request. Arguing the point here and telling people to "STFU" isn't doing anything for you. No one here is likely to proxy a feature request for you, because the prevailing attitude seems to support 'C. The developers may or may not feel differently. You may submit feature requests by clicking the "Report a Bug" link.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So again how can we change this ass backwards reporting ..
I printed one of these and keep it by my computer as a handy reference:

1554410920309.png

Status
Not open for further replies.