Temp move of dataset to different pool for Drive upgrade.

LGSONE

Dabbler
I have a single SSD used for backups of cloud accounts and a testing VM. It needs to be upgraded. I want to move the entire dataset to the raid pool, replace the single SSD with a large model, and move the data set back to the new drive. I did this long ago in the FreeNas 9.x days and have lost that process in my head. The dataset has a zvol and files. Once I get the process to move the dataset to a temp location and move back to the new drive, how is the VM pointed back to the instance in virtualization? Any help would be great. I searched, but I might not be entering the proper verbiage to get this sorted.

TIA
LGS

Jorsher

Explorer
Is mirroring the SSD, then detaching the smaller one not an option?

kiriak

Contributor
2 years ago I had a Truenas Core system with just one single drive pool that I used to become familiar with TN before selling my Synology.
After a message that the single drive was going to fail I used a process that I found in these forums and migrated the pool to a new drive without using a temp location.
Afterwards I just replaced the drives and run a command on console. It was amazingly easy.
I cannnot find it right now but maybe this is the best way to go?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is mirroring the SSD, then detaching the smaller one not an option?
Don't even need to formally attach it, I'm pretty sure you can zpool repalce a single disk - as long as it remains online, of course, so both need to be attached.

LGSONE

Dabbler
The server is packed full of drives, or I would just load in the new drive and copy to it. I could try it in a USB enclosure and copy that way but 2TB via usb would be very slow. I have tons of space on the RAID pool, it is just moving of the dataset twice that I am scratching my head on. And then making sure the VM instance works.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well then:
  1. Snapshot
  2. Replicate to temporary pool
  3. Do whatever
  4. Replicate back to new pool
Pretty simple overall, just be sure to abuse the -n option to make sure you're getting the results you want. And use the recursive options along the way, too, of course.