Taking a FreeNAS Disk to a different Computer to quickly view the Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
FreeNAS is great project, I require some help...I am a trained in electronics and not afraid to try something new but when it comes to servers and Unix it is completely out of my scope. I have a NAS at home, and it has worked great for the last 5 years and now I have the itch to try creating my own NAS at our small office.

I have created a NAS using two 1TB drives and a 8GB USB drive installed with 9.10 FreeNAS. I created a ZFS mirror, and I was hoping if there was ever a problem I could just take out that drive and slap it on a Windows computer and read the files. To my surprise I can't simply put the drive in a Windows or Linux system to view the files...my Dlink NAS at home...no problem.

My question, is there a simple way to view these files in an operating system like a my DLink does at home?

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there a simple way to view these files in an operating system
Sure, as long as that operating system supports OpenZFS. FreeBSD does, Linux mostly does, OpenIndiana does, but Windows doesn't.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yes and no. Yes you can read the drive at home, no you aren't going to be able to use windows.

You can create a second USB drive and boot from that on your home PC without affecting your windows install.

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
Thank you for responding danb35 and depasseg! I greatly appreciate it! I have Ubuntu running in VirtualBox right now. I see that Native OpenZFS is installed on my Ubuntu and I used the Disks app and see it is there...forgive my lack of experience with Linux...how do I see the contents? In Ubuntu it says that it is a FreeBSD Swap, Contents Unknown? Did I possibly set it up wrong in FreeNAS?

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
Go to a terminal window and type 'zpool import'. Post the result.

kriskizlyk@kriskizlyk-VirtualBox:~$ sudo zpool import
[sudo] password for kriskizlyk:
pool: MicroCanNAS
id:9660563184704704722307
state: DEGRADED
action: The Pool can be imported despite missing or damaged devices.

The fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised if imported.
see: zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config
MicroCanNAS DEGRADED
mirror-0 DEGRADED

Using virtualbox on windows still is windows and you will have a difficult time getting it to work correctly if at all and run a higher risk of trashing any data.

If you ever have a problem with a system and need to use another system to try and rescue data it would be best to just set up a USB drive with FreeNAS like depasseg said on it and import the pool. Even if this is a desktop computer that you normally run windows on you should be able to change your boot order or use a one time boot menu.

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
I think you and depasseg are right nightshade...my last post didn't show it is waiting for moderator approval...basically the state is DEGRADED and the pool was last accessed by another system. I wanted to create a NAS where if I got hit by a bus a non-technical person could take out the drive and put it on a Windows computer to recover the files. Thanks for the help and everyone patience.

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If you get hit by a bus, whoever is looking for that data could reach out for help. Either here in the forums, or through ixsystems. Just put a label with this website and or the ixsystems support phone number.

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
Actually...that is a great idea. Even though it is not exactly what I hoped for, I have just heard too much about FreeNAS and ZFS files systems being incredibly reliable. Head Office has a server that they are going to pull from our NAS so that we are secure just in case if a catastrophe does happen. TBH if I get hit by a bus...I wouldn't have to worry about it. :p

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
Update. I installed FreeBSD with a ZFS file system with the Gnone3 interface on a separate drive and then connected my NAS mirrored drives to the system hoping to view them. I open up the Files and the drives are not there. I did go to the terminal and did a camcontrol devlist and it does show that the drives are available. Can someone help me on how to actually view those contents?

Kris Kizlyk

Cadet
I did a zpool import, and then I did a -f to force it. Checked it again and it said online...however no drives showed up when I looked in the "Files" application.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Where are the datasets mounted?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
no drives showed up when I looked in the "Files" application
Run "zpool list" at the command-line to see if the pool shows up. I expect the pool will be mounted at /mnt/<pool-name>.

You're not going to see the drives in the Files application, since you're dealing with a ZFS pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.