Take VM Snapsots

mav359aaa

Cadet
Hey peeps

Can i snapshot the Windows VM in TrueNas? in VMWare workstation or Virtual Box i can simply right click and snaphot the entire VM, i have found out how to take a snapshot of the VMs DataSet but not the VM itself

I have a VM i want for testing and breaking that when im finished i can just restore and start with a fresh copy of Windows i dont care about any data on the VM itself just the VM itself

Can you do this in TrueNAS

Cheers

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Just snapshot the virtual disk zvol. That's all TrueNAS can do. It's like pulling the power from a physical machine. In most cases the guest OS will survive that. If you snapshot e.g. once every hour, there will most probably always be a good one.

To get a consistent snapshot you would need to shutdown the VM, snapshot the zvol, start the VM again.

Arwen

MVP
To get a consistent snapshot you would need to shutdown the VM, snapshot the zvol, start the VM again.
Agree.

VMs write to their backing volume in an irregular way, OS dependant. So while the ZFS pool & zVol will be clean, the data inside the zViol may or may not be. Unless the VM is gracefully shutdown first.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Forum search is your friend. Here's a script a member put together to shutdown the VM, snapshot, and restart the VM.