Systems slow down after 24 hours

Hello. This is my first post.

I have three identical machines. Eventually each machine will be in different locations but for now they sit next to each other. They are meant to be basic file servers running syncthing. Triple redundancy with RAID.

Originally I intended to install Windows Server but my brother-in-law convinced me to try TrueNAS so I gave him the machines and he set up the OS. I took over and I continued the setup. I'm originally a DOS/Windows guy (30 years) so I'm completely new to Unix and FreeBSD. Since setting up the machines I realize now that my hardware is not ideal. For the past 15 years I've been using Windows Server which has been easy to use and quite reliable regardless of the hardware so my hope was that TrueNAS would be equally easy to use and reasonable considering the hardware.

Now for my problem. In general when I boot the servers they run quite nice. Syncthing synchronizes my files, the CPUs get good usage, the hard drives chug away nicely, and the network has great throughput. Unfortunately after about 24 hours everything slows down and the systems become unresponsive. I run htop and the CPUs are hardly used; maybe 50% usage for one core every couple of seconds. The hard drives become quiet with the occasional blip of usage every 5 seconds or so. The network slows down with about 15KB of data being transferred. Syncthing slows down to a crawl. If I reboot the servers they come back alive and chug away like normal. After 24 hours they all slow down again.

For the past couple of months I've been reading as much as I can to try to figure out what's going on. Reading posts here on the TrueNAS forums, on the FreeBSD forums, and on the syncthing forums. It's not the CPU. It's not the hard drives. It doesn't appear to be anything but I have some ideas of what might be happening. I just need some help to change some settings.

My guess is that it's the NIC. If I copy 2TB of data to one of the servers then syncthing kicks in and starts to synchronize those files to the other servers. All the servers start to chug away and the transfer starts to slow down but that's understandable since the servers are synchronizing as new data shows up. The transfer slows down but settles into a consistent rhythm. After about a day of copying data, the transfer slows down to a crawl and the original transfer starts to fail with network timeout errors.

The NIC is an Intel I219-V which is not supported in TrueNAS (according to the hardware document) but is supported in FreeBSD. There's actually very little difference between the two. For example, the driver is the same for both and quite generic. People have complained equally about both. I have yet to see any post where someone says that the "LM" works but the "V" does not. I've recently come across the following post from Intel and I think this might be the culprit. There are two posts by Intel moderators, one post points to the other --> "Modify the MSISupported parameter in the registry section of I219-V. The default value is "1", change it to "0". For more details, please refer to Mark Hanna's post"

My question (request for help) is, "How can I configure TrueNAS so that the NIC setting is the same as what Intel recommends?"

Links
TrueNAS Hardware Recommendations Guide
FreeBSD Support for the I219 NIC
FreeBSD Network Driver for I219
MSI-X on Intel® Ethernet Connection Network Adapter Families
Question about Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM and I219-V Reset
windows 8 with Intel 82566MM Network Card is not usable

sretalla