System stuck in reboot after 8.0.1 upgrade as well as fresh install - Fatal trap 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durkatlon

Patron
I had already rebooted, but I renamed /boot/kernel/xhci.ko to xchi.ko_OLD (after doing 'mount -uw' of course).
I rebooted and re-ran 'daily periodic' and no crash.

Thanks for the lightening fast answer!
Wow that's pretty cool. Weird that the periodic script triggered it. So more importantly, did you get an email? :D

ProtoSD

MVP
Also for others in this thread --

When reporting panics, it is important to quote the _entire_ panic message, including the addresses. Screenshots are great. There are 3,500 sources of panics (calls to panic()) in FreeNAS. Trap 12 is an invalid memory reference and isn't in itself diagnostic; there are 2^64 possible causes of an invalid memory reference. Along with the fault address, instruction pointer, and source process from the message, we can usually identify what the offending subsystem is. But without it, there's no possible way to debug it.

Doug, can you suggest a practical way of doing this? Usually when that happens the system is frozen and the screenshot is the only way to capture the info other than writing it down and potentially missing some details.

Thanks for all the help and hard work!

Milhouse

Guru
Wouldn't a core dump be useful? Are these not being created when a Trap 12 situation is encountered?

G

gcooper

Doug, can you suggest a practical way of doing this? Usually when that happens the system is frozen and the screenshot is the only way to capture the info other than writing it down and potentially missing some details.

Thanks for all the help and hard work!

If there's a dump device (there isn't always one.. *gripes again about kernel dump support not being enabled by default on FreeNAS, in part because some people want to be silly and run without swap..*), you could create a kernel dump.

See r8148 for a start on what you will need in your kernel in order to provide us with helpful info in the event that your machine panics again.

We'll come up with an official process of what to do in the event that systems panic out in the field where we will need diagnostic info.

jensbylu

Cadet
Ok, happend again. Second time since I upgraded to 8.0.1 RELEASE.
This time I took a "screenshot". Seems to be an issue with nfs deamon?

IMAG0059.jpg

This time it occoured when xbmc on my kubuntu laptop where accessing än nfs share monted on the laptop.

G

gcooper

Ok, happend again. Second time since I upgraded to 8.0.1 RELEASE.
This time I took a "screenshot". Seems to be an issue with nfs deamon?

View attachment 263

This time it occoured when xbmc on my kubuntu laptop where accessing än nfs share monted on the laptop.

This is a completely different problem (and it'd probably be a good idea to open up a separate thread/ticket for it -- please include all your hardware details, version number, how you're connecting to and from your kubuntu box, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.