System Confused over Discs

BFulford

Cadet
Hello, and thank you for taking your time in reading and contemplating an answer.

I am running FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2 on a system with an i5 and 32G of RAM. I have a pool with 3 zfs1 raids. Two of the raids have four 8TB drives, and the other has four 5TB drives. The system is running on an M.2.

My issue started when a drive faulted. I purchased a new 8TB Barracuda drive. I plugged in the drive and the system registered it and even gave it a name. This is where I saw the issue. The failed drive no longer showed up in disks. Within the pool status I took the faulted drive offline and then told it to replace it with the new disk. Everything seemed like it was going to be fine until the replacement failed. There was no error of a failure it just did not take over, it continues to show that it is replacing in the Status section of the pool. The failed disk and the new disk are now displayed as ada7 in the status menu. When I go to Drives the failed disk is not there, but the new one is still ada7. So I turned the system off and removed the faulted drive. When it came back up it is still showing as degraded and the faulted disk is now showing as removed and the new disk is showing ada7 as faulted within the status menu. When I go to disks now it says ada7 is not in use.

I can not wipe it I get: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/ada7 failed (code 1): gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument.

I can not gpart destroy -F ada7: gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument.

It almost seems to be confused as to what disk is faulted and what the new one is because the old one died and dropped off while I was trying to replace it.

1600801049294.png

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's having trouble wiping the new disk to set up the partition scheme needed, so hasn't started the replacement.

Can you go in and wipe the new disk from the GUI?

If not your syntax is probably not right with gpart destroy -F ada7

Probably should be gpart destroy -F /dev/ada7

BFulford

Cadet
I ran the command
Code:
gpart destroy -F /dev/ada7

It came back with
Code:
gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument

It's having trouble wiping the new disk to set up the partition scheme needed, so hasn't started the replacement.

Can you go in and wipe the new disk from the GUI?

If not your syntax is probably not right with gpart destroy -F ada7

Probably should be gpart destroy -F /dev/ada7

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I ran the command
Code:
gpart destroy -F /dev/ada7

It came back with
Code:
gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument
The gpart command doesn't need the /dev/ prefix, so you might want to try: gpart destroy -F ada7

But first... make sure /dev/ada7 is the disk you actually want to destroy. Device identifiers for the same disk can change after rebooting, for example. So look at the output of smartctl -a /dev/ada7 and make sure it's the right disk before proceeding.

BFulford

Cadet
I have tried gpart destroy -F ada7 before posting. I get the same error: gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument

It is good to know that the device identifier can change after a reboot. I think that happened when I rebooted after the initial drive replacement failed. Since it no longer saw the old ada7, even though I still had it plugged in, it dubbed the new disk ada7 after a reboot.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have tried gpart destroy -F ada7 before posting. I get the same error: gpart: arg0 'ada7': Invalid argument

It is good to know that the device identifier can change after a reboot. I think that happened when I rebooted after the initial drive replacement failed. Since it no longer saw the old ada7, even though I still had it plugged in, it dubbed the new disk ada7 after a reboot.
There's no going back after you destroy a partition. That's why I suggested you make sure you are working with the correct drive.

There are many ways to get a list of drives. One way is to run smartctl --scan, which will give a full list of drives on the system. Then check each one with smartctl -a /dev/{x} as I mentioned above. Check the output and look for the matching brand and serial number.

You can get complete information on gpart, including numerous examples, by running man gpart.

Good luck