Vdev went poof!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Import over the UI always uses /mnt/somepool. To get the same when importing on the command line you need to specify -o altroot=/mnt if I remember correctly. I am currently away from my system, so can't check.

I'd really love to see someone who knows this GELI encryption better than I do jump in and help you get your pool to a sane state, because all the steps that happenend so far, while inconvenient, are perfectly deterministic and solid. And I do trust in FreeNAS that it is possible to restore a sane configuration without starting over.

Tldr; How does one attach a new device to a single disk vdev to form a mirror if the pool is geli encrypted?

Any takers?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Not I. These are deeper GELI waters than I’ve ever waded in. Although GELI is known to be a touch squirrelly. FreeNAS without GELI is pretty solid. You may want to rebuild your pool from scratch using SEDs, if you need encryption-at-rest.

futex

Dabbler
all the steps that happenend so far, while inconvenient, are perfectly deterministic and solid.

From my perspective, what seems to be the issue here is that the GUI seems to lack proper support for the 'replace-disk-in-encrypted-pool' case and taking to the CLI while it does fix things breaks the GUI b/c there is only very limited synchronization of the actual state back to the GUI.