syslog from the GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

maurertodd

Dabbler
.7 had a GUI interface into the syslog. I'd like to see something similar to that in 8.x.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Under System -> Settings -> General is "syslog server" for an IP. I never used .7 but what more are you wanting than a place for IP address?

maurertodd

Dabbler
Not sure if you're suggesting I leave because I'm not happy, or if you think nas4free is better?

I've not played with FreeNAS 8.x much. I upgraded a secondary NAS a couple of months ago to 8.2. It's been rock solid. Even Firefly has been rock solid and I could never keep it running on .7. So there are plusses. FreeNAS 8.x seems to be more popular than nas4free. Though nas4free is already running FreeBSD 9.x.

So I'm thinking I'll stay with FreeNAS, but that doesn't mean I won't ask for features that I miss to be reimplemented.

toddos

Contributor
To pile on noobsauce80, both FreeNAS 8.3 and NAS4Free 9.1.0.1 support ZFS v28 so you can export/import your pools between them (assuming you don't use anything distro-specific like encryption). So get two USB drives, put FreeNAS on one and NAS4Free on the other and play with both to see what you prefer.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi maurertodd,

These options aren't quite the same, but you can:

1) check the option for "Show console messages in the footer" under System -> Advanced. This will give you a box on the bottom of the GUI that shows the last 4-5 lines of the raw syslog. If you click on the window you get a not-quite-full screen display of the syslogs messages. This disply updates in near-realtime.

2) Use the "Shell" function on the left side tree menu & just "tail -XX /var/log/syslog" from the prompt to display the last XX number of lines of syslog output.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.