Granular control of syslog-ng

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian351c

Patron
Is there any way to have more granular control over syslog-ng in FreeNAS? Doesn't look like there's much in the GUI (and I'm OK with that). It looks like any time the syslog parameter is changed under System > General, a new syslog-ng.conf is created in /etc/local. I was hopeful when I found /etc/local/syslog-ng.conf.freenas, which I hoped was where the "base config" was copied from (and where I might permanently store changes to be copied to syslog-ng.conf), but alas, this does not appear to be the case.

Does a "gold copy" of syslog-ng.conf exist somewhere else on the file system that I might edit? Or is it generated programmatically?

Thanks.

D

dlavigne

Seeing that this is a new feature, it is worth thinking about which settings would be useful to change via the GUI, then creating a feature request at bugs.freenas.org detailing those. If you do, post the issue number here.

ian351c

Patron
I didn't realize that syslog-ng was new for 9.3. Serves me right for not checking my production system. :smile: At a minimum an "Auxiliary Parameters" box would be nice. Something like what Webmin offers would be awesome... I'll open a feature request.

ian351c

Patron
BTW: If anyone knows how syslog-ng.conf is constructed today, can they share? :smile:

BigJ

Dabbler
Does a "gold copy" of syslog-ng.conf exist somewhere else on the file system that I might edit? Or is it generated programmatically?

Thanks.

I've found /conf/base/etc/local/syslog-ng.conf.freenas. Don't know if that will persist your changes. However I expect applying a FreeNAS update will overwrite it.

Having "Auxiliary Parameters" for syslog-ng would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.