Feature Request: Web GUI tab to view syslog messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Genton

Contributor
It would be NICE to be able to view syslog messages via a tab in the web admin gui pages.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a reason that the syslog at the bottom of the web GUI page won't do what you're looking for? You know you can click on it to expand it, right?

Dave Genton

Contributor
Is there a reason that the syslog at the bottom of the web GUI page won't do what you're looking for? You know you can click on it to expand it, right?
Yes I am, sorry about that, I couldn't edit the post after hitting the post button. That windows does suffice but only for freenas of course. What I was attempting to post when distracted was ability to view CONFIGURATION for syslog within the gui, and be able to edit it beyond just adding an IP address for network logging or keeping local by omitting the IP address. I would like to use freenas as my local syslog server for vcenter and the network switches and router. I've heard of many folks in SOHO type environments as well as medium sized businesses wanting to use the NAS as syslog target for local network devices. They find it a challenge to configure outside the web gui and I myself dont feel comfy editing freenas knowing its freebsd under the hood antics differ from a stock build so to speak. My self I run a jail on my freeas primary server in the lab and have it running syslog-ng as a target for all network devices and vmware nodes in the lab. Adding a plug-in or web gui for native syslog target within Freenas I feel is a simple addition giving more value add in this target business space that's an easy win. Many business, even larger Enterprise already make use of NAS or SAN LUN's as targets for their syslog targets whether hosted on a commercial solar winds box vis CIFS or home grown Linux box via NFS or iSCSI.

To me I just think its an easy win for the freenas team with a little gui configuration allowing users to provide a dataset as the syslog target, as well as freenas as the syslog collector / aggregator for those NOT in an enterprise whom use freenas on the backend for this but front end it with an autonomous system whether virtual or physical. Also give a new resource to home freenas users maybe they didnt have in the past as home networks and number of devices on the networks continue to grow as technology becomes affordable and reaches the homes. As promised to a select few, I posted this on their behalf which I myself would certainly take advantage of as well if it existed.

dave

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you want to do a syslog server on FreeNAS (which has been discussed before) the solution is quite simple. Run it in a jail.

Generally, syslog servers are dedicated devices (or VMs) for syslogs for your entire datacenter and are NOT the big multi-purpose server you are wanting FreeNAS to be.

Use the right tool for the right job. That would be either a dedicated device (or VM), or optionally, a FreeNAS jail. Quite literally, a jail is the absolute best case for what you are wanting.

Dave Genton

Contributor
In your opinion frankly, don't speak for everyone and every system that's just ludicrous. I have syslog running in a jail, I have it running in vm's in other system, very familiar, hence the request made on behalf of MANY others as stated. If you prefer all those companies use another product I'll tell them that, no problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.